Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2003 - no dialog box after Control-P

A friend started having a weird problem today. They can use Control-P to get the standard print dialog box for most programs, but NOT in Microsoft Word.

When they use File / Menu /Print (or Control-P), the entire document prints immediately. They typically only want to print the current page ... I tried Googling for this problem, but no success.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    They may have a macro which hijacks the Print Command. Such a macro could be in any of the active documents or addins.

To eliminate this possibility, have the start Word in Safe Mode and try printing. If they see the usual dialog then you just need to find where the rogue macro is hiding.

To start Word in Safe Mode see http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to...0-in-safe-mode
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I will try this when I visit her tomorrow.
    Rick Groszkiewicz

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrosz View Post
    A friend started having a weird problem today.
    Are you saying that yesterday, Ctrl-P would bring up the print dialog for her?

If yes, then culprit is likely to be some change to her system between yesterday and today.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    Are you saying that yesterday, Ctrl-P would bring up the print dialog for her?

If yes, then culprit is likely to be some change to her system between yesterday and today.
    I asked about her about that possibility. She has LOTS of Word macros, but did not remember making any changes to them. It will take some hands-on investigation to find the culprit.

Worst case is that I can't figure it out - then I plan to restore her 06/19 backup image.
    Rick Groszkiewicz

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down

I assumed Windows was corrupt, so my final solution was to restore from an earlier Acronis backup. I chose the May 20, 2016 backup image. After 30 minutes, the PC booted up fine. After all her startup programs loaded, we tried Control-P in Word, and finally got to see the print dialog. I thought that was the end, but I was wrong ...

There were several other computer mysteries to unravel, and one of them involved printing some photographs. After going through printer maintenance (nozzle check and head cleaning), we loaded up the Word document with two embedded photos. We hit Control-P, and the document printed immediately!! I have no idea how, but within one hour of restoring from backup, the Print dialog in MS Word stopped working properly.

As a last gasp, I tried the MS Office 2003 "Detect and Repair" procedure, but it did not work. It acted like there was no disk in the drive. I have NO idea how to proceed from here.
    Rick Groszkiewicz

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It sounds to me like [Control-P] is going to the Quick Print command. Quick Print does an immediate print to the default printer with all (user) default options active. Among other things that means the entire document prints and not just the current page.

You reverted to a May 20 image and the [Control-P] also reverted to Full Print functionality. That largely proves the idea that [Control-P] used to invoke Full Print. I'm willing to accept that anyway.

Then within an hour [Control-P] reverted again to Quick Print. This is suggestive, very suggestive indeed. The probable culprit is an online update. The question is, an update to what specifically? It could the Windows, Word, or the printer driver. I'm going to say I don't think a Windows update would do this. That leaves an update to Word or the printer driver.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does the file with the embedded photos contain ANY macros? What about it's attached template?

Also, as suggested by BHarder, did any Word updates get installed in the hour of fiddling around.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    Does the file with the embedded photos contain ANY macros? What about it's attached template?

Also, as suggested by BHarder, did any Word updates get installed in the hour of fiddling around.
    No, I did not see anything unusual in that Word document. And no updates were installed, even though the computer was VERY busy - still not sure what exactly was happening in the background.
    Rick Groszkiewicz

Thanks
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    There may be an active macro FilePrint in an Add-In. This would intercept the command. A person can and likely will have Add-Ins even though they did not (intentionally) install them.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    There may be an active macro FilePrint in an Add-In. This would intercept the command. A person can and likely will have Add-Ins even though they did not (intentionally) install them.
    I forgot to note this, but I did check for that possibility.
    Rick Groszkiewicz

Thanks
    Word 2003? What command is CTRL+P associated with (Tools > Customize > Keyboard)?
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    http://www.gmayor.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mayor View Post
    Word 2003? What command is CTRL+P associated with (Tools > Customize > Keyboard)?
    We checked this, and it showed that Control-P was correctly mapped to the FilePrint dialog.
    Rick Groszkiewicz

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrosz View Post

When they use File / Menu /Print (or Control-P), the entire document prints immediately. They typically only want to print the current page ... I tried Googling for this problem, but no success.
    Again, this indicates to me that there is a macro named FilePrint. This is the only thing I can think of that gives this result with both Ctrl+P and File > Print. Use Alt+F8 to look at the list of macros and see if you can find one with that name. If you do and cannot "Step Into" it or Edit it, you have found a macro in an Add-In.

00 deleteme 1.png
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast