New Lounger
    Thanks

Contacts lost in Windows Live mail after Win 7 update

All my WLM contacts were deleted/or locked out in the last Win 7 & update. Don't have a WLM account so cannot recover there. Any suggestions

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It seems WLM contacts live in your %LOCALAPPDATA% directory - see this thread. To open this directory:
    1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Enter this in the address bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%
    3. Navigate to the directory shown in the linked thread.

cheers, Paul

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by sph View Post
    All my WLM contacts were deleted/or locked out in the last Win 7 & update. Don't have a WLM account so cannot recover there. Any suggestions
    Any chance you can find them still in People app ?

Start > All apps > People.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sph View Post
    Welcome to the forum, and the "MS Zone".
    Windows updates have been messing up peoples computers for years. Nothing new.
    But today the conspiracy theorists are saying that MS is deliberately putting out bad updates to try to encourage (force) people into upgrading to Windows 10.

I saw something similar when Windows XP was expiring and MS wanted people to upgrade to Vista.
    The solution then was as it is now..... Fix the immediate problem and then, SHUT OFF automatic Windows Updates.

If I had the same problem as you have, I'd first do a System Restore to a time before the update, and if that failed to solve the problem I'd do a restore of my last total hard drive backup. That always fixes everything, but may cause you to loose your latest data files and/or pictures.

The total solution to your problem would be to Back up your entire C: drive at least once a week, and back up your data files to an external drive, whenever that data changes.

Sorry, but, you really do yourself a disfavor by operating your computer without having any kind of Backup scheme.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!