Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This Update Fix Worked For Me

Like many others, I've recently had issues trying to get two Win7 laptops updated. 1st, "Searching for Updates" would run forever with no results. 2nd, recommended individual update "fixes" would not always download. 3rd, if they did download, the Standalone Installer would usually not install them. 4th, even if the installs did occur, they didn't work. Reading this forum and Windows Secrets, I've found the solution that worked for me:
    -Susan Bradley suggested that KB3161608 (a roll-up of several KB fixes) might be the solution.
    -I downloaded it without problem.
    -Another poster here said that he was able to get the Standalone Installer to work by first changing the Window Update settings to NEVER check. I did this and the Installer installed KB3161608 without a hitch.
    -I then reset Update settings to Load but Don't Install (probably could have set to full automatic as well).
    -I did this on both laptops and after telling them to Check for Updates, they both went to work and downloaded 18 updates on one and 63 on the other. Both started making progress almost immediately. So, I left them to work and I'm not sure how long it took to complete; probably an hour or so.
    -Both are now fully up to date and working well. We'll see what happens with next months updates.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yobil For This Useful Post:

JohnS0603 (2016-07-19),satrow (2016-06-27)

Thanks
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link. I'm not sure that I read that thread, but it certainly verifies that KB3161608 is the fix, at least for some systems.
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    KB3161608 broke my Bluetooth. After installing this update, my event viewer was inundated with errors all related to Bluetooth Device Monitor, Bluetooth Media Service and Bluetooth OBEX Service. I uninstalled the update and now Bluetooth is working fine again. Since I wasn't really having an issue with WU, I'm going to hide this update until the Bluetooth issues get worked out.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry you had this problem, but I'm glad you were able to recover from it. I understand that KB...608 is a roll-up of several updates intended for WU repairs. If you aren't having WU issues, I assume you don't need it anyway. I'm not sure if KB...608 is or will be part of regular scheduled updates. Some one else in the know could maybe answer that.

Lounger
    Thanks
    It is amazing how many people are experiencing the "worst" MS has to offer. I've got 100 users in a 'non-domain' series of campuses (walk a lot) and upgrading 'any' Windows 7 Pro machine has become a nightmare.
    I have tried all these fine solutions, Susan Bradley's, the 'changing settings' to never, the "MS Mr FixIt", the "preinstall fixit", on an on... why should we have to 'do all this' but MS is certainly out to lunch. I have simply "not" updated many machines since this started several months back... many will go to Win10 Pro for free... but MS certainly rots for all they 'Have not done' to fix these update issues.
    Good luck all.

Quote Originally Posted by Yobil View Post
    Like many others, I've recently had issues trying to get two Win7 laptops updated. 1st, "Searching for Updates" would run forever with no results. 2nd, recommended individual update "fixes" would not always download. 3rd, if they did download, the Standalone Installer would usually not install them. 4th, even if the installs did occur, they didn't work. Reading this forum and Windows Secrets, I've found the solution that worked for me:
    -Susan Bradley suggested that KB3161608 (a roll-up of several KB fixes) might be the solution.
    -I downloaded it without problem.
    -Another poster here said that he was able to get the Standalone Installer to work by first changing the Window Update settings to NEVER check. I did this and the Installer installed KB3161608 without a hitch.
    -I then reset Update settings to Load but Don't Install (probably could have set to full automatic as well).
    -I did this on both laptops and after telling them to Check for Updates, they both went to work and downloaded 18 updates on one and 63 on the other. Both started making progress almost immediately. So, I left them to work and I'm not sure how long it took to complete; probably an hour or so.
    -Both are now fully up to date and working well. We'll see what happens with next months updates.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I spent the best part of 3 days, (many different loads, fixes, re-install, etc.) trying to get updates with no success. Found the info for the wsus offliine update and decided to give it a try. It took almost 24 hours but I am back -up to date and the update check seems to be working the way it should.
    http://www.wsusoffline.net

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just want to add to this post some "positive" info, after reading through several posts here and trying many possible solutions found here and other forums I tried the following and it worked, the credit goes to another poster from this Forum, I apologize, I do not remember who it was.

Problem = Win. 7 Home Prem. SP1 x 64 will NOT update

Solution = Set "win. update" to "never" look for updates (do not turn win. updates off in "services")

In Services (set) - BITS ( started / auto, delayed start)
    APPIDSVC (manual)
    CRYPTSVC (started / auto )
    WUAUSERV ( started / delayed start )

I downloaded and saved with "stand alone installers" from M$, KB's3145739, 3161608 and 3161664

Then ran the "stand alone installers" for each KB starting with 3145739, rebooting after each install (all 3 installed with NO problem)

After final reboot I reset "win. update" to "notify but let me decide whether to down load and install" ( then clicked on "check for updates) it did not take long for new updates to show up, I then picked
    which updates I needed (referring to Susan Bradely's) posts in Windows Secrets

FYI : I have hacked the registry as per Susan Bradley to prevent anything GWX from getting on my computer, and try not to install any updates that contain "data miners" pertaining to win. 10

Hope this helps somebody dealing with Win. 7 updates, it is very frustrating, it will be interesting to see if updates still work when the next batch comes out -

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I had no option but to turn Windows Update service to disabled or off as it was maxing out my CPU and making the laptop unusable.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15

Now that you have "Windows update" disabled and stopped in "services" have you tried setting Windows update in the control panel to "never check for updates", reboot and then try, in services, turning on and starting Windows update again to see if that senerio calms down your CPU usage ?

If that works you then could use the stand alone installers - just a thought

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GREYGEEK View Post
    Sudo15

Now that you have "Windows update" disabled and stopped in "services" have you tried setting Windows update in the control panel to "never check for updates", reboot and then try, in services, turning on and starting Windows update again to see if that senerio calms down your CPU usage ?

If that works you then could use the stand alone installers - just a thought

Joe
    Thanks but that has long since been fixed.

I got the impression that WUS was fighting with the Windows Update Agent and direct downloading KB3161664 while WUS was disabled and check for updates was set to never.

I normally have my update settings set to Check for but let me choose.... and have since received an update for my Realtek LAN driver and that one that sticks the GWX banner on your screen.

Looking forward to this month's updates to see if I get them as I should.

Thanks
    All I can say is WOW, after installing KB3161608 last month, the updates this morning ( July updates ) were "found" in 1 minute!!!!!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yobil,
    Your post holds out some hope, after all!
    I'm anxious to try your method. It might not work on my laptop, because that laptop chronically gets tied up with its single-core AMD processor.
    Thanks very much,
    JohnS0603

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One of the issues as I see it is that you do not get tray notifications anymore that updates are available. Thus it is easy for a PC to get behind. Once behind, people are running into all of the issues that are being experienced lately with slow scans for updates. Installing KB3161608 did not help in 2 cases where PC's need updating for over 2 months. I tried for over 3.5 hours in the afternoon and evening on 1 PC that was 2 months behind both with and without KB3161608 and had the stuck looking for updates issue. I noticed little disk activity doing this. I tried again to update this PC this time at 5:30 AM and all was completed in <30 minutes. Installed KB3161608 which would not install the day before as it was stuck searching for updates. Then got the rest of my updates and had them installed without issue. Later that morning, I tried to update another PC that was 3 months outdated. This PC had all of the necessary updates already listed, but getting them to download and install at 8:30 AM was another issue. Update progress was stuck at 0% Tried installing KB3161608 and lost all of the listed updates. No change to slowness of searching for updates speed and noticed little HD activity. Did a system restore to get rid of KB3161608 to try and get back list of need updates, but they were still gone. Mind you I spent all the rest of the morning and most of the afternoon trying to update this PC.

I finally got something to work. Turned WU to never check and reinstalled KB3161608. Rebooted PC and went back to WU and set to check,. but let me decide. Same old, same old. Then set WU to download and let me decide. Nothing appeared to be happening, but I could see intermittent disk activity. I let it go and in about 30 minutes or less, all of the updates had downloaded and I clicked install and went through all 30+ and found no issues and installed them.

So some may want to try this WU setting. Not sure if KB3161608 had anything to do with my success. If you do get your PC up to date, be sure to check every month for updates as the newer versions of WU seem to have difficulty with out of date PC's.

Thanks
    I have not found any working links to download the June Rollup (KB3161608). Even chatting with MS support could help me to find the file to download.

Does anyone have any suggestions about where I can find the file to download? Thanks.
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast