New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 won't boot and won't run if not connected to Internet

Two PCs that I upgraded from to Win-10 (one from Win-7 and one from Win-8.1) will not boot up unless they are connected to the Internet, and once they are booted up, they freeze if the Internet connection is broken.

I cannot say for sure if this problem began when I upgraded to Win-10 or if it developed later because I normally boot up with my Internet connection active. But I upgraded both PCs using a Win-10 DVD, and I'm pretty sure I was not connected to the Internet at the time. I discovered the problem a few days ago when my ISP was down when I tried to boot up one of the two computers, and it wouldn't boot (hung on one of the early splash screens). So I experimented and found that neither of the two computers will boot without an active Internet connection, and both freeze up in the middle of whatever I'm doing if the connection is interrupted. Another desktop PC and a laptop that I also upgraded from Win-7 to Win-10 work fine whether connected or not.

Both problem PCs are older, homebuilt models with ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboards and AMD-64 X2 Dual Core CPUs.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like malware to me (not that I have ever read about your symptoms). That said, have a look in event viewer after restarting following a freeze - there should be some info in there.

Thanks
    Not that I do mind you, but Windows 10 runs just fine with no internet. Of course you can not access websites!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'd also look in your msconfig for Start up items and non-MS services and see if it will start up/run okay in a clean boot with your router switched off.