Lounger
    Thanks

How do I revert to logging on with a Local Account?

I've had Win 10 for 8 months now and always logged on using my Local Account. Today, for some inexplicable reason, I thought I'd try the Microsoft Account option and now I'd like to revert to my Local Account. But how?

In "Settings/Accounts/Sign in with a local account instead" after entering my Microsoft password I'm invited to enter a new password for the Local Account (my user ID is pre-entered on the form) but the response is "Windows is already using that name. Please enter a different name".

If I enter Newname, will Win10 merely rename C:\Users\oldname\... to C:Users\newname... (which nicely gets me back to my original situation) or will it set up an entirely new User?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You shouldn't need to create a new account, or set anything up - I don't have W10 in front of me now, but search around on the login screen, and you should find the local account (try up-arrow ? - can't recall).

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.

I went ahead with "Settings/Accounts/Sign in with a local account instead" and chose a new log-on name and then the process just took a few moments, plus logging-on again with my new name and password.

My fear of C:\Users\oldname\... being changed to C:Users\newname was completely unfounded, C:\Users\oldname\ still exists as before.

Thanks
    MS account is much better. Use it.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Why? What does it provide that you need?

cheers, Paul