Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Disk Cleanup - which files/folders?

I'm trying to find a comprehensive list of exactly which files/folders are cleaned up when one runs Disk Cleanup or other temp file removers.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Obviously I'm not choosing my google search words well enough to find what I need.

In the last 2 months, coworkers had issues with our agency software on HP Win7 computers. When I poked around I found over 60K files in their Windows\Temp folders. This started me on my search for exactly which TEMP files are cleaned when various programs are run.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Have a look at this article: Where Does Windows Store Temporary Files and How to Change TEMP Folder Location?

Alternatively, do a Google search for where does Windows store temporary files and add the Windows version to the end of the search query text.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    It really doesn't matter! Junk is Junk and should be removed on a regular basis. All temp files are JUNK!

I run a temp file remover every day, from my Startup folder and once a week I run Disk Cleanup in Extended Mode, to get even more 'Junk' files. "Minus crud is cool!"

When you take out a trash can, do you go through it and itemize everything in the can?

Surely you have something better to do with your time than itemize garbage. Eh?

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    If you are only worried about temp files, use CCleaner from Piriform.com . Temporary files are just that, temporary files that were needed to install something or to run an instance of a program. Windows doesn't delete them unless you tell it to and if not deleted it can take up a major portion of your HDD.

Thanks
    Don't forget to clean out, from time to time, Window Prefetch, Windows Recent, ProgramData Temp.

Addendum: Based on following comments, I will add this: I only clean Prefetch and Recent maybe once, twice monthly just before making my two OS partition images. Otherwise, as they said, leave those two alone.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-06-30 at 13:10.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Personally, I would leave Windows Prefetch and Recent Items alone, to enable them to continue to do what Microsoft designed them for!

Temporary files, wherever located, are fair game for removal.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Sorry, Roland, but I have to disagree with cleaning out the Windows Prefetch folder.

It was a myth back in XP days and is even less beneficial from Win 7 onwards.

Just let it do its job, IMO.

Thanks
    If you want to clean Windows Prefetch, use the option in CCleaner, which only removes the old and unused files, and/or DIY and remove any temp/installer entries that are only ever used one time.

Windows Recent files - only a privacy issue, like on a multi-User/Public system with only one login and/or no password.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Don't forget to clean out, from time to time, Window Prefetch, Windows Recent, ProgramData Temp.
    Based on following comments, I will add this: I only clean Prefetch and Recent maybe once, twice monthly just before making my two OS partition images. Otherwise, as they said, leave those two alone.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    Cleaning Windows Prefetch to improve performance is a myth. From the How To Geek.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/173648/10-w...yths-debunked/

Clean Your Prefetch To Increase Startup Speed
    Windows watches the programs you run and creates .pf files in its Prefetch folder for them. The Prefetch feature works as a sort of cache — when you open an application, Windows checks the Prefetch folder, looks at the application’s .pf file (if it exists), and uses that as a guide to start preloading data that the application will use. This helps your applications start faster.

Some Windows geeks have misunderstood this feature. They believe that Windows loads these files at boot, so your boot time will slow down due to Windows preloading the data specified in the .pf files. They also argue you’ll build up useless files as you uninstall programs and .pf files will be left over. In reality, Windows only loads the data in these .pf files when you launch the associated application and only stores .pf files for the 128 most recently launched programs.

If you were to regularly clean out the Prefetch folder, not only would programs take longer to open because they won’t be preloaded, Windows will have to waste time recreating all the .pf files.

You could also modify the PrefetchParameters setting to disable Prefetch, but there’s no reason to do that. Let Windows manage Prefetch on its own.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

High Sierra (2016-07-01),lumpy95 (2016-06-30)

Thanks
    "...Cleaning Windows Prefetch to improve performance is a myth. From the How To Geek..."
    I never said it improved performance.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

mutonic (2016-07-08)

Thanks
    My PreFetch folder is 49 MB in size - half of which is ReadyBoot.

Doesn't really seem to be worth deleting, does it!
    BATcher

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher
    My PreFetch folder is 49 MB in size - half of which is ReadyBoot.
    Wow, that's bloated. (Mine's just over 3 MB, including ReadyBoot.) I suggest you wipe your hard disk and re-install everything from scratch.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

BATcher (2016-07-01)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Wow, that's bloated. (Mine's just over 3 MB, including ReadyBoot.) I suggest you wipe your hard disk and re-install everything from scratch...
    Serious overkill Rick.

C:\Windows\Prefetch folder size of 30-40MB is normal in my experience.

My C:\Windows\Prefetch folder size is as shown in this screenshot:
    Prefetch.jpg

There is no way I would consider re-installing Win7 unless the size of the Prefetch folder was extraordinary (200MB or more).

And no, not since clean-installing Win7SP1 on this PC <> July 2015 have I done anything to clean the Prefetch folder; in my experience Prefetch is best left alone for Windows to manage.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Hmmm. Looks as though Rick should have put in a smiley or two!
    BATcher

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast