Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    iNET Interactive
    Thanks

UPDATE: Windows Secrets' ultimate utilities list

Field Notes

UPDATE: Windows Secrets' ultimate utilities list

By Tracey Capen

About twice a year, I update our list of top utilities — those essential tools for making computing smoother and easier.

One of the most important utilities for all PC users is their backup-and-restore tools. With complex setups, it's often best to pay for a more sophisticated backup/restore application.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/update-windows-secrets-ultimate-utilities-list/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracey Capen For This Useful Post:

zxccxzasd (2016-07-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You say that inSSIDer is freeware, I can only find a version that demands a licence?!

Thanks
    Greetings from the Great Country of Texas,

Reference: "BillP Studios WinPatrol (free/paid)" is not the keeper of WinPatrol any longer. Now Bret Lowry has it using WinPatrol Dot Com (just add the appropriate symbols and punctuation) as his website. Also provides WinPrivacy and WinAntiRansomeWare that are really GREAT! This change took place about two years ago.
    TIA, CU L8R,
    NTxLS Win7 Pro 64bit SP1; FireFox v49.x, all with the latest updates

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JMLee View Post
    You say that inSSIDer is freeware, I can only find a version that demands a licence?!
    It seems free on this link, or on another link with what appears to be a newer version
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    We've been saying that for years, but it doesn't register: InSSIDer Not Free

Thanks
    Try Acrylic WiFi Home, which does a very similar job to inSSIDer...
    Last edited by BATcher; 2016-06-30 at 08:03. Reason: Removed information already present in previous posts
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2016-06-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm extremely glad that you were able to use Acronis True Image to find and restore the image file created by the Windows built in imaging tool. But I would never have thought Acronis would accept a .vhd file as a recovery source... nor would it necessarily know how to properly decompress it.

My assumption (obviously wrong!) would be that Acronis would simply ignore any file that did not end with the file extension .tib. What led you to even try it?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Just got the email Newsletter for the ultimate utilities list. Someone at Windows Secrets needs to go through the list and verify every single link provided. After clicking on at least two that went nowhere or were broken, I just deleted the Newsletter email. No excuse. We readers don't have time to fiddle with an inferior product. Focus on excellence for a product that you are providing to paying customers. I expect all the links to be validated and the Newsletter re-released with correct information.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barker13 View Post
    Just got the email Newsletter for the ultimate utilities list. Someone at Windows Secrets needs to go through the list and verify every single link provided. After clicking on at least two that went nowhere or were broken, I just deleted the Newsletter email. No excuse. We readers don't have time to fiddle with an inferior product. Focus on excellence for a product that you are providing to paying customers. I expect all the links to be validated and the Newsletter re-released with correct information.
    The problem is that all the links in the Newsletter are obscure tracking ones to the Penton site. Please restore proper links that we can see where they go.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Karen Kenworthy’s Replicator (free)

Karen Kenworthy’s Replicator (free).

http://karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

Is no longer active! She passed away a few years ago.

I think it may still be available at:

Majorgeeks

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...eplicator.html

I wonder because it uses Visual Basic version 6 if it will run properly on anything newer than windows 7.

Maybe someone should vet the sites in the utilities list with something like:

Xenu's Link Sleuth

http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

Thanks...

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by re2s View Post
    Karen Kenworthy’s Replicator (free).

http://karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

Is no longer active! She passed away a few years ago.
    Partially true. I went to the base karenware.com site this morning and the current custodian of the legacy site appears to be out of his depth. I'm sure that a competent someone would be more than willing to voluntarily host karenware. A person's valuable and sought after works and contributions need not fall into disrepair when they pass on.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I still use Karen Kenworthy's Replicator on Win 10. It works perfectly.

Alex

Thanks
    Re the newsletter links: if, when you receive the newsletter and you want to try out the linked software, log on here and read it, the links are clean and (mostly, ~4 404's for this edition) correct. Or use the newsletter as an alert - you don't need to open it to come here to read it.

The newsletter's tracking links are nothing unusual, direct links would be. Most bulk mail/newsletters, etc. use tracking links of some description.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Acronis - not what it used to be...

I used to be an avid Acronis user (since v9.0) but the program has IMHO gone downhill rather rapidly over the last two or three versions. I have now swapped to Macrium Reflect http://www.macrium.com/ which I find faster and much better than the latest Acronis offerings. I think quite a few other Acronis users have also abandonded them.
    Regards

RayG

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    It seems free on this link, or on another link with what appears to be a newer version
    The "free" link says in fine print that it is a free trial only. InSSIDer is not free.

Personally, I like Acrylic WiFi's presentation better than InSSIDer. Where applicable, Acrylic also handles both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, as well as dual-band and Wireless ac. (I'm not saying InSSIDer doesn't do these things.)

In Linux we had LinSSID, but it seems to have been abandoned. Now I use the Linux Command Line application Wavemon. You have to manually copy and paste to freeze out a sample report, but otherwise, it does the job, albeit in a Console fashion. And without the fancy graphing features of LinSSID or InSSIDer.

For seeing who's on your own WiFi channel or connection, Softperfect Research has WiFi Guard, free. They also have the best bandwidth usage monitoring tool I've seen for Windows, Networx, also free.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2016-06-30 at 14:13.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast