iNET Interactive
    Thanks

June proves to be a bit rough for IT pros

Patch Watch

June proves to be a bit rough for IT pros

By Susan Bradley

June's updates have been a bumpy ride mostly for network administrators; for workstation users, it was relatively smooth sailing.

With the next big upgrade to Windows 10 rapidly approaching and the end of the free upgrade from Win7 and Win8.1 Microsoft is finally making changes to the "Get Windows 10" experience that should never have been needed.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/june-proves-to-be-a-bit-rough-for-it-pros/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RE: Patch 3163018.
    When this patch installed, I was not able to connect to my company's VPN server. The error message was "The path was lost".
    I uninstalled 3163018 and the connection worked fine.
    Windows then went and reinstalled 3063018 and once again, I could not connect.
    Once again I uninstalled it and this time changed the update to wait.
    All is good again.

Thanks
    Sorry, but Win10 (either RTM or Technical Preview) is still not ready yet.

Surprised? When has M$ ever first-released an OS that was really ready for mass-consumption?

Shouldn't have to comment on first release of Vista, beyond saying it was a disaster for many users; and for many users it was not until Service Pack 2 that the problems were (finally) fixed.

Win7 (w/o SP1) was fairly smooth, apart from installation of drivers for peripherals (always a problem w/ OS upgrades).

Win7 w/ SP1 fixed almost all problems, even with drivers for peripherals (though sorry if some really old printers/scanners/webcams might not be supported).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post

Surprised? When has M$ ever first-released an OS that was really ready for mass-consumption?

Shouldn't have to comment on first release of Vista, beyond saying it was a disaster for many users; and for many users it was not until Service Pack 2 that the problems were (finally) fixed.

Win7 (w/o SP1) was fairly smooth, apart from installation of drivers for peripherals (always a problem w/ OS upgrades).

Win7 w/ SP1 fixed almost all problems, even with drivers for peripherals (though sorry if some really old printers/scanners/webcams might not be supported).
    We are all entitled to our own opinion but I find that with a few tweaks (Privacy Settings, edit the Start screen, drivers), Windows 10 is the best OS Microsoft has released. I find it fast, stable, and easy to use. YMMV.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As per Susan's post and others regarding the Win 7 update slowdown problems, I first installed KB3020369 [that I had hidden] and then installed the June rollup using the -x64.msu executable. While I never willingly use IE11, in checking for potential problems with the KB3161639 patch I ran across this MS posting: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...a96e080?auth=1 and decided to follow one of the simpler suggestions as to changing the IE connection protocols enabled. As an old Novel person, should I worry as to encountering problems with this since I normally avoid using IE11? Also, I understand that because I didn't do the June Rollup via Windows Update, I don't see the actual KB's listed there. Would I be better to remove these changes and try to get them installed in a different way or just document this in notes? I apologize for my lack of expertise in this area.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post

Opinion stated as fact does not necessarily make it true. With each OS there have been many millions of people who have been satisfied since the initial release.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    We are all entitled to our own opinion
    Quite true...

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    ...but I find that with a few tweaks (Privacy Settings, edit the Start screen, drivers), Windows 10 is the best OS Microsoft has released.
    So, without tweaks, Windows 10 is not necessarily the best OS Microsoft has released? Are you saying that Windows 10 is not ready Out-of-the-Box, without resorting to tweaks and system modifications from the default setup? There are many that would agree with you...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Opinion stated as fact does not necessarily make it true.
    The opinion was not necessarily stated as fact, only as a legitimate opinion that many (but not all) share...

With each OS there have been many millions of people who have been satisfied since the initial release.
    ...and there have been many that have legitimate reasons not to upgrade from each OS release. This is why XP held on for so long...

There may be many reasons to upgrade. Windows 10 can be an excellent OS. Likewise, there are many reasons not to upgrade, such as system incompatibilities, legacy mission-critical software issues, legacy hardware support, licensing concerns for said software, etc.

I personally have run into many issues wherein legacy hardware is not supported, and wherein legacy mission-critical software will not be supported for Windows 10 in the near future. That is fact, not opinion.

I like Windows 10 on hardware that was designed to support it, but even hardware that was designed to support Windows 8.x is not capable of running it successfully.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    @jgstanley,

The statements were written as fact. There is no representation of opinion just the implication that "everyone knows" these things to be true.

I don't care if you or anyone else does not want to upgrade or can not upgrade other than trying to help if you really want to upgrade but are having a problem. I understand that there are many reasons someone may not be able or willing to upgrade. More than one system for which I am responsible can't be upgraded currently because of software incompatibilities. All that is fine. Any reason anyone has for not attempting an upgrade is their business. All this was not the point. The point is that there were many, many millions of users who acquired systems with the original release of each mentioned OS that ran just fine and many continue to do so.

Your overly broad last statement is not true because it is absolute. There is SOME hardware designed for Win8.1 that will not run Win10 well. I have run Win10 well on systems that originally had XP, Vista, Win7, & Win8.1. Do all the systems run as well as new hardware designed for Win10? NO and I would not expect them to. But they run equally as well or better with Win10 than the original OS.
    Joe

Thanks
    @jgstanley,

The statements were written as fact. There is no representation of opinion...
    Contrary to your claim "The statements were written as fact" that was certainly not my intent. Maybe I should have prefaced my my post with "Sorry, but Win10 (either RTM or Technical Preview) is still not ready yet" opinion or with IMHO or "in my opinion" but I think it is very obvious that I was simply stating my opinion, and as such was not claiming it to be a "statement of fact".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Is anyone else not receiving offer of rollup kb3161608 for Win7?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by user ht View Post
    Is anyone else not receiving offer of rollup kb3161608 for Win7?
    Grab it here: Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3161608)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    TY Bruce!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for furnishing KB3161608 ! [Win 7 home premium x64 SP1] I downloaded the update from above but cant get it to run. I double-clicked and it appeared to open the Windows Update Standalone installer, but it isn't doing anything with that patch and couldn't find any other patches. I have been trying to patch my computer for several days now. Going to Win Update shows me a list of 26 patches, but when I select a few to install, it says "downloading updates", but it doesn't. I let it run for several 20-40 minute intervals with one or 6 patches selected and nothing happens. 0% download. I let it run overnight and it failed and shut off. In one of several tries using only one update it downloaded - fortunately it was the IE11 cumulative update. Susan said in one case that 3161608 should be installed before 3168965 was installed, but I have never been offered 3161608. That's why I was glad to see it available, but the only thing I knew was to try a double-click.

I looked at a video on WSUS Offline and it looked promising, but it seems like there is still a missing link. Obviously I'm in over my head and would appreciate any suggestions.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Still having problems. I got 3020369 (it was hidden), 3161608 from a previous thread, and 3125574 from the Microsoft Update catalog, but they are all standalone packages and "check for updates" cant find them when I double click the package. I tried disconnecting from the internet as JoeP517 suggested to Yobil, but it didn't work for me. I would really appreciate any help on this matter. Thanks, Gary