Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Poor man's Shepherd's pie.

1 lb hamburger ($3/lb at Fresh Market on Tuesdays only)

3.5 lb bag of Green Giant potatoes, peeled (10lb bag for around $5.65 at Sam's)

Hellman's Mayonaise

Heaping of I Can't Believe it's Not Butter margarine

Shredded cheddar cheese (5 lb bag of shredded Cheddar around $11 at Sam's; used only 2 cups at most)

1 can of Margaret Holme's Tomatoes, Okra and Corn (80 at Wal-Mart at the moment)

1 small pouch of Winn-Dixie Swiss Mushroom Gravy mix (50 per pouch)

Some herbs/seasoning (including Celery Seed, Mrs. Dash, and McCormick Garlic and Herb. Note: salt only added to the boiling potatoes step (and not really that much); plenty in the Magaret Holmes Tomatoes, Okra, and Corn so no need to add any more; trust me)

I have a mandolin slicer which I used to slice the potatoes. I boiled the slices thoroughly (salt in the pot too of course) and kept around 20 medallions aside and mashed the rest. For the mashed pototoes, I added a heaping of mayonaise and butter. To the cooked hamburer (drained) I added the herbs/spices and poured a can of the Margeret Holme's and then the gravy mix for thickener and poored all that into the cooking dish. I then spread the mashed potatoes on top of that and spread most of the cheddar cheese on top of the mashed potatoes. I then placed the cooked madallion potato slices on top of that and spinkled a bit more of the cheeze on to top. I baked for 15 minutes and then covered and cooked an additional 30 minutes to complete. I rested the dish for 10 minutes before scouping a dose for me. Then, after I ate the portion (jeeze it was freaking delicious), I decided to take a picture of this for posterity. lol

Guestimate that it costs around $10 total. Completely worth the effort. I wasn't that hungry since I used some of cooked hamburger and poured in on one slice of bread with a slice of American Cheese as a snack an hour prior, so only ate this portion to satisfy my remaining appetite. lol

https://postimg.org/image/soxn0k8dr/

poormanssp.jpg
    Last edited by lylejk; 2016-06-30 at 22:23.

Thanks
    Is this a US-only recipe, since I recognise only about half the brand names?
    For that matter, who is Sam?

"Shepherds' Pie - made from real shepherds!"
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK; posted this elsewhere and they said it was a cottage pie since a shephard's pie is made with Lamb (mutton) meat. I say, whatever. As for brands, that's probably true BATcher. lol

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks delicious...I've eaten Shep Pie in the UK in pubs and it's always been beef based, not lamb.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Made with Beef? Wouldn't that be Cowboy Pie?
    ROTFLOL.gif
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Laughing aside, even the Wiki mentioned that Cottage pie and Shepherd's pie have now traditionally been made one and the same (unless you live outside the US of course; lol).

Thanks
    Just to clear up the confusion, Shepherds pie is traditionally made of mutton, Cottage pie uses beef and Sawney Bean used shepherds.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here in the U.S.A., if it has beef in it, it certainly can't be called "Poor Man's" anything. 85% ground beef here in my neck of the asphalt here in Maryland costs me $5.48 a pound! The other prices quoted seem very low too. You must do all your shopping at Sam's Club or Costco and buy them by the skid load. I haven't heard of some of those brands either.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fresh Market special Tuesdays only

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately it is Tuesdays only, Trev. For about a year, Fresh Market raised the price to $3.99/lb but back in April, they dropped it back to $2.99/lb again.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Specials are the way forward...I use Publix regularly and by only buying regular items when on special save a considerable amount.
    Example: recently Lindeman's wine(all varieties) $5.95 Buy One Get One Free =3 bucks a bottle.
    Normal price 2 for $12 =6 bucks a bottle.
    Last edited by Trev; 2016-07-02 at 15:48.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott
    85% ground beef here in my neck of the asphalt here in Maryland costs me $5.48 a pound!
    Wow. I've always thought food prices in the US were much cheaper than here in the UK.

A pound weight is 450 grams and the current conversion rate is 1 (British Pound) = $1.33. Your pound of 85% ground beef - what we call 15% beef mince ('cos for some reason we advertise the fat content rather than the meat content) - at $5.48 costs the UK equivalent of 4.13.

I gather Sam's Club is the same as Costco, i.e. a discount warehouse. The nearest equivalent goods I could find was a 454 gram pack of 15% Aberdeen Angus (i.e. a prime beef) at Waitrose, one of our more up-market stores. I hate to say it but the cost is only 3.00, i.e. $3.98 a pound.

mince.png
    Click to enlarge

Perhaps someone could check my maths? (I know... you say math. Two countries divided by a common language. )

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The math is correct, Rick, but buying at Lyle's price on special changes it somewhat...
    But our Lindeman's is cheaper thank goodness,
    Last edited by Trev; 2016-07-02 at 15:47.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Wow. I've always thought food prices in the US were much cheaper than here in the UK.
    The price of food has skyrocketed in the U.S. mainly because of the severe Armeggedon weather we've had over the last 6 years and currently. Beef, pork, fish, seafood, vegetables, fruit, and even chicken have all been affected. Then you have our government subsidizing farmers to grow more corn to make ethanol to put into our gasoline, and there is more demand than supply of the fruit vegetables we need. I suppose you could add in the cost of the antibiotics they put in the feed too.

People really have to look hard for low prices or by in bulk at a warehouse club like Costco which is mainly good for families of 5 or more, but not too good for a retired couple like my wife and I. Sorry to bend your ears about this but it is just one of the many upsetting things going on here. Thanks for your reply.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post

A pound weight is 450 grams and the current conversion rate is 1 (British Pound) = $1.33. Your pound of 85% ground beef - what we call 15% beef mince ('cos for some reason we advertise the fat content rather than the meat content) - at $5.48 costs the UK equivalent of 4.13.

I gather Sam's Club is the same as Costco, i.e. a discount warehouse. The nearest equivalent goods I could find was a 454 gram pack of 15% Aberdeen Angus (i.e. a prime beef) at Waitrose, one of our more up-market stores. I hate to say it but the cost is only 3.00, i.e. $3.98 a pound.

mince.png
    Click to enlarge

Perhaps someone could check my maths? (I know... you say math. Two countries divided by a common language. )
    Sam's here in my home state run $2.78/lb, Rick ($2.98/lb for 85% lean). Why are food prices so high in the UK? Regardless, I don't like purchasing 5 lbs of beef at a time. I consume $2 lbs every 2 weeks (eat more chicken since it's cheaper; a Rotisserie chicken at Sam's costs $4.98 and lasts me 4 meals with rice and other items. Can't even recall the last time I purchased a steak. My sister did cook me what last fall when I visited her (and it was delicious; lol).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast