Lounger
    Thanks

Question Spybot Anti-Beacon, Any Good

In an never ending effort to stop intrusion in the dark I came across some reviews of the subject line.
    Has anyone heard of it or experienced it? Any good? It is free and that is nice but I am still researching it.
    Thanks for any input.

Thanks
    You can also download and use Gibson's Never10 as an aside utility. I have Spybot Anti-Beacon on all three computers, presently with full protection set, and I honestly do not see any negative or positive differences in my day to day operations. I think that can be considered a good thing. According to its informative bars, I am protected from un-wanted, un-needed, telemetry and "CallHomes."
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This looks like an interesting program. I really don't have a problem with the concept of software (particularly an OS) transmitting information about performance and things like that. But I'm kind of at the point where I don't really trust MS that much anymore and am not too sure I'm comfortable with the amount of data they are actually collecting.

But over and above that, I'm bothered by the whole concept of software that needs to regularly be connected to the outside world. If it was willing to do this as a part of routine updates (that I had control over the when and where), I might be OK with that. It's more about what I don't know that bothers me - if that makes any sense.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much. I use or am using Windows Firewall 8 and I like it's efforts.

I agree with you GSmith about intrusion and 'automated' intrusions by MS. Having installed Win10Pro on several business machines (to save them upgrade money later) I have always turned of the 'auto' configuration and done my own. I was, the first time, surprised at the level of intrusion and background 'phone home' functions. And also the SETI like "use your cycles" to help others upload... Huh? Thanks again... think I will give it a shot.