5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OneNote 2016 - Issues (Continued)

This is a continuation of an old thread that cannot be posted too due to age:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...bipolar-nature

Quote Originally Posted by Dagrm View Post
    I am still running OneNote 2010, which works fine for me. Of course, I have no OneDrive synchronization option, but for this I use Evernote. After what I read here, trying to upgrade OneNote 2010 is not a great idea
    Here is where I am with this 3 months later... I want to like OneNote 2016 but it's tied to OneDrive (see prior thread) and I have come to really dislike OneDrive (more on that in another thread).

To continue to use the "free" OneNote 2016 or to use Office 365, I've got to adopt the new MS internet-centric paradigm, and I'm not interested. If I still had an active business, that would be different. But I'm semi-retired and it's got nothing to offer me and it's just too much bother.

I do have a copy of Office 2010 and am considering installing OneNote from that, but the newer version does have some nice features. I can also buy Office 2016 Home (~$115) but that's a whole different set of issues because I have two computers and the new Home/Student version is only for one computer (the 2010 version was for 3).

So, I'm stuck with having to choose which is the least annoying solution.
    --Live with OneDrive
    --Dump OneNote completely
    --Go back to the 2010 version
    --Get a new version of Office Home and move functions around

The last is the most bother of all but probably the best solution in the long run.

Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you use the OneNote included in Office 365 you can save notebooks locally and ignore OneDrive.
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If you use the OneNote included in Office 365 you can save notebooks locally and ignore OneDrive.
    Except Office 365 is a subscription. I don't use Office enough to justify the continuing cost. I can buy a copy of Office 2016 for less than 2 yrs of Office 365.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out why I shouldn't just use the copy of Office 2010 I already own.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Not the same version of Office included with Office 365. Plus with Office 365 Home you get to install on 5 PCs, 5 tablets, & 5 phones. Or opt for Office 365 Personal for less money if all you need is 1 PC, 1 tablet, and 1 phone. Don't forget the other "stuff" you get with Office 365 - see Choose your Office for details.

Or go ahead and use Office 2010. It will work.
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Or go ahead and use Office 2010. It will work.
    That seems to be the better option for me. I'm extremely familiar with Office 365 and all it has to offer and how it will make my life better. Not interested. It has nothing that interests me and, I'd be willing to wager, that at least a quarter (perhaps more) of the people who do have it would be just as well off with a non-subscription version.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This sums up my dilemma beautifully. Thank you!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagrm View Post
    This sums up my dilemma beautifully. Thank you!
    I've been using OneNote 2010 for a month now and am perfectly happy with it. Previously I had used the free 2016 version but didn't like the way it was tethered to the internet - it seemed like a kludge and just created issues for me.

I had expected to be giving up some new features by going back to the 2010 version; but if I am, I don't know what they are. It's not quite as pretty, but neither am I so, who cares
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware