Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New W7 computer - question about installed software

I'm baaaack . . .
    On my new Dell Inspiron laptop, there are a number of pre-installed software programs put there by Dell.

I would appreciate any feedback on which are worth keeping on the laptop and which should probably be deleted.

I've attached a snipping-tool picture captured from Revo.

As always, thanks for your help and suggestions,
    DickInstalled Programs.PNG

Thanks
    It's a bit difficult as we can't see the full program names...

Try this:

Code:
    Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set objTextFile = objFSO.CreateTextFile(".\software.txt", True)

strComputer = "."
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
        & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
    Set colSoftware = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
        ("Select * from Win32_Product")

objTextFile.WriteLine "Description"

For Each objSoftware in colSoftware
        objTextFile.WriteLine objSoftware.Description
    Next
    objTextFile.Close
    1. Copy/paste the code above into Notepad and save it on your desktop as "list-software.vbs" (including quote marks, so it doesn't save as list-software.vbs.txt).
    (alternatively, download the attachment to your desktop and rename it from list-software.txt to list-software.vbs (the forum software doesn't allow the attachment of scripts).

3. Double click on the software.vbs file and leave it a minute or two to finish. This will create a plain text file called software.txt which lists your installed software.

4. Attach the list to a new post or just open the list in Notepad and copy/paste the list into a new post.

Hope this helps...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-07-01 at 16:44. Reason: Added script to list software

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-07-01)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick:
    Thank you, especially for the code. Here are the results:

Description
    Macrium Reflect Standard Edition
    Microsoft Office OneNote MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Shared Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Excel MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Shared 64-bit Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office PowerPoint MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Office 64-bit Components 2007
    Microsoft Office Shared 64-bit MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Word MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proofing (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proof (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proof (Spanish) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proof (French) 2007
    Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007
    Intel(R) PRO/Wireless Driver
    Dell Foundation Services
    Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)(patch version 17.1.1449.356)
    Intel(R) ME UninstallLegacy
    Maxx Audio Installer (x64)
    Dell SupportAssistAgent
    Intel® Trusted Connect Service Client
    Intel(R) Management Engine Components
    Skype™ 6.18
    Dell Product Registration
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2
    Dropbox 20 GB
    Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software
    Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology
    Create Recovery Media
    Intel(R) Chipset Device Software
    Dell Digital Delivery
    Dell Update
    Dell Data Vault
    Quickset64
    Intel(R) Management Engine Components

Thanks,
    Dick
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Personally, I would keep them all except for the Dell bloatware (but keep Dell Touchpad). Even the Create Recovery Media... just use it to create the media then un-install it ('cos it can only be used once [in theory ]).

Your choice whether you keep or junk Skype and/or DropBox. I guess it all depends on whether you use them. If you do, make sure they are updated to the latest versions (especially Dell Foundation Service if you decide to keep it... 'cos it recently had one heck of a security hole. See this Dell page for a link to the latest update).

I note that the script I provided didn't show all the programs that your screenshot did. I don't know why. It missed Bitdefender AV Free, CutePDF Writer, PDF-Viewer, MiniTool Partition (Wizard?), Revo Un-installer, WinRAR 5.31, Adobe Flash Player 20(...?) and Dell eDoc Viewer. Get rid of Adobe Flash Player... but, if you need it, make sure you download the newest version. The rest are fine IMO.

It will be interesting to see other people's recommendations.

Hope this helps...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-07-01)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick:
    Thank you for your very helpful reply.
    Dick

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That will be a 60 day trial of Office 2007 and takes up about 300MB and is one of the first things I uninstall after a factory reset.

I normally use IObit Uninstaller and then I can be sure of removing any registry residue.

New and Win 7 don't quite seem to go together for me, although as it has .NET Framework 4.5.2 it must be a recent install, or have you already run Windows Updates ?

Google for Dell support and let it auto detect your model and then click on the Drivers section where you will have the option to run the auto detect which will tell you if there are any newer drivers for your model.

Download MiniToolBox and check the box for List installed programs and that will show all that you have installed.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...nitoolbox.html

Rick has picked out Bitdefender Free - most OEM machines come with a trial version of a paid for AV which must be uninstalled first before installing the one of your choice.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-07-02)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That will be a 60 day trial of Office 2007 and takes up about 300MB and is one of the first things I uninstall after a factory reset - unless you are going to get the paid for version.

I normally use IObit Uninstaller and then I can be sure of removing any registry residue, although I see you have Revo installed.

New and Win 7 don't quite seem to go together for me, although as it has .NET Framework 4.5.2 it must be a recent install, or have you already run Windows Updates ?

Google for Dell support and let it auto detect your model and then click on the Drivers section where you will have the option to run the auto detect which will tell you if there are any newer drivers for your model.

Download MiniToolBox and check the box for List installed programs and that will show all that you have installed.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...nitoolbox.html

Rick has picked out Bitdefender Free - most OEM machines come with a trial version of a paid for AV which must be uninstalled first before installing the one of your choice.

You may also want to check out your Start up items in msconfig as they can have some bloat.

StartUpLite can help you with what you need or not.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/startuplite/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15
    That will be a 60 day trial of Office 2007
    I had assumed - as it's a new laptop - that Dick-Y had installed Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007. That's the problem with assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15
    Sudo15's quite right about this - although I must admit I've never seen a new Dell with anything other than trial versions of Norton or McAfee. Once again, I made an incorrect assumption. Looks like I'm on a roll.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-07-02)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with everything Rick said, especially with regard to the Dell stuff.

Keep the Dell Touchpad, all the Intel stuff, and the Maxx audio driver. I'd definitely get rid of Dell Foundation Services, Support Assist, and Dell Update because of security issues. Is the Office 2007 a fully licensed version? If it's an old trial version, I'd uninstall it.

As Rick said, I'd use Dell Create Recovery Media to make reinstallation media should you ever need it, then uninstall the application. Even that's not altogether necessary if you instead opt to make a virgin backup image (before you start tinkering) with Macrium Reflect or your favorite imaging utility, but I generally like to have the OEM recovery media as well.

Dell Data Vault is Dell's proprietary backup utility, but I'd uninstall it and stick to a more mainstream backup program (plenty of which you'll find recommend on these forums).

Dell Digital Delivery is of use if you also purchased additional software from Dell--instead of giving you installation media, Dell uses the app to download and install the additional software online. That probably won't be a factor for most users, so Digital Delivery can be uninstalled.

Note that QuickSet is also a Dell utility. I routinely get rid of it, but some people may find it handy. Google "what is dell quickset" to learn about it and decide whether you want to keep it. (Note that if you do get rid of it and later change your mind, you can usually find it on Dell's Drivers webpage for your particular Dell model.)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-07-02)

Thanks
    I had assumed - as it's a new laptop - that Dick-Y had installed Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007
    That would certainly be my assumption also since Dick-y said it was a "New" Dell with W7. Dell would have had to reach into an Olllld pile of install disks to have Office 2007 trial on it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-07-02)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick et al:
    Please don't berate yourselves. As far as "assumptions", I'm the one who made an "as#" of himself by not providing more information.

The new laptop came with a couple of other things that I had already uninstalled before starting this thread.
    There was a trial version of Office 365 and of a McAfee security suite.

Because I already had a paid-for, licensed copy of Windows 7 and of MalwareBytes Pro I jumped through the necessary hoops with Microsoft and Intel/McAfee to cancel the trials, and then used my paid-for, licensed copy of Revo-Pro to uninstall them.

Since starting this thread, based on Rick's initial response and the fact that I don't use them, I have also uninstalled DropBox and Skype.

Now I'll digest all your helpful responses and deal with all the Dell pre-installed stuff.

Thanks again,
    Dick

Thanks
    Dick-Y - No problem.

Possibly important: If, by any chance, you get any issues/strange behaviour with Office 2007, try the Office removal tool. This will not only un-install Office 2007 again but also remove any fragments of Office 365. I had to use this on a friend's laptop to get Office 2010 working properly.

It was apparently caused by 2 different methods that MS use to install Office, the older Windows installer as opposed to the newer Click-to-Run installer. Apparently, using both versions on the same device isn't supported by MS, which many people are not aware of.

In your situation, as Office 2007 is the older product, it wouldn't be aware to check for a previous Click-to-run install before trying to install itself so you won't get a popup warning shown on the MS web page. Although MS' warning states it only affects Windows Installer and Click-to-run versions of the same Office product, in my experience it can also affect the installation of earlier Office products when a trial version of Office 365 is uninstalled using just Control Panel > Programs and Features. After using the Office removal tool to get rid of both a newly installed version of Office 2010 and the remnants of trial version of Office 365, my friend's Office 2010 began working properly when re-installed yet again. You may be fine if you used Revo as this seems to clean remnants more efficiently but something to be aware of, just in case.

Hope this helps...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-07-02)

Thanks
    Dick, note that BitDefender Free is old and basic, a far cry from the full BD version that rates highly in tests. Probably safer to use something like Panda Free or a stripped down install of Avast Free instead.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-07-02)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Satrow. Will the full BD suite conflict with my M_Bytes Pro?
    Dick

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dick, If purchasing Bitdefender, I noticed that there are many complaints about their customer service apropos payments/subscriptions.
    Comments at end of article...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2460688,00.asp

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trev For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-07-02)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast