Thread: Wsus offline

Lounger
    Thanks

Wsus offline

Ihave a 5 year old Dell laptop which I had to restore to factory settings, so the only updates were 5 years old, and would not update. I read the forums and found out about WSUS but after downloading I was unsure how to start with it, but eventually I clicked on the generator and it went through a long download aand downloaded and verified about 650 updates but I dont know where they are. My knowledge is somewhat limited but can anyone shed any light on how I a-can find and install them to get my system back to a safe level. It is only a second computer, but was perfectly good before I tried to upgrade to W10, and lost everything, Thank you

Thanks
    In the folder where the generator program lives there should now be a folder called 'Client'. In that folder there should be a program called 'UpdateInstaller'. Run that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

COLINB (2016-07-04)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you so much. I am now updated and back to where I was before the W10 fiasco. BTW just in case any other silver surfers are watching, I trusted Microsoft when they said W10 was ok for my machine, but on downloading it crashed and I lost W7 as well as W10, Then on checking with dell they said they did not support W10 for my machine. I also use a Desktop for my main computer, and Microsoft was pestering me to upgrade also, but on checking with Packard Bell, They also don't support W10 for my desktop. Thank you once again for your help. cheers

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There are still some monthly updates to come before the Win 10 cut off date, so it would be prudent to change your update settings to Check for but let me choose... and download GWX Control Panel.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

You will see which buttons to click on.

When you get the notification for the monthly updates, go to Windows Update then click on Important where you will be able to right click on the Win 10 one if it is offered and select Hide, then go to Optional if any and do the same to any you don't want to install.

You can no longer take MS on trust any more until after the cut off date which hopefully, will be final for those who don't want to upgrade certain machines.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

COLINB (2016-07-04)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for tat, I had already set update to ask me, and I have runGWX now. I will do the desktop next cheers