Thread: Intruder ?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Intruder ?

I have Cisco, a Dell tower and a Dell PC.(DsL)
    All 3 show up on my Net Watcher.
    as well as something with a MAC Address and an adapter company listed as 'private' and , at times, names 'kindle'. I don;t own a kindle reader, but do have an Amazon Firestick which I RARELY use..

I have tried to add this MAC address as a 'blocked address' in my router, but it continues to show up on and off within the hour.
    The IP is always the same as well as the MAC, but at times it is named kindle.

Could it actually be something that I have that I am unaware of?
    The only other things I have are a tv(network,not cable)and a printer using a port in my tower.
    How can I find out WHAT it is?
    Last edited by ccheryld; 2016-07-04 at 19:38.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccheryld View Post
    All 3 show up on my Net Watcher.
    as well as something with a MAC Address and an adapter company listed as 'private' and , at times, names 'kindle'. I don;t own a kindle reader, but do have an Amazon Firestick which I RARELY use..
    Most likely, it is your Firestick. Remember that what matters is whether it is plugged in and powered up, in which case it will periodically communicate with your network whether you're using it or not.

To verify yours for certain, go to your TV and launch the Firestick, then navigate to the Firestick's Settings>System>About>Network page. It will list your Firestick's IP and MAC. Verify if those are the same as your heretofore unknown device.

My Firestick shows up on my LAN as "kindle-xxxxxxxxx", with the x's apparently being some sort of serial number or hex string id code. I don't believe there is any way to customize this name.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    Most likely, it is your Firestick. Remember that what matters is whether it is plugged in and powered up, in which case it will periodically communicate with your network whether you're using it or not.

To verify yours for certain, go to your TV and launch the Firestick, then navigate to the Firestick's Settings>System>About>Network page. It will list your Firestick's IP and MAC. Verify if those are the same as your heretofore unknown device.

My Firestick shows up on my LAN as "kindle-xxxxxxxxx", with the x's apparently being some sort of serial number or hex string id code. I don't believe there is any way to customize this name.
    EXACTLY THE CAUSE!!!!! Thank you so much for walking me through that.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad to have helped. I see you're a new member, so welcome to the forum! I hope you'll find it useful.