New Lounger
    Thanks

Secondary DC or Subdomain

Hi everyone.
    I manage a local network at work in which i built a forest for my Active Directory. I work on Vsphere and the Windows Server 2012/R2 is obviously build on a VM. Every week i shut down the VM and follow some maintenance procedures. Now i have a task that is kind of tricky since i am not honestly that experienced in this topic. I have to manage some new users, working on the same network but in a department that needs to stay online 24/7. My thought is to make a second VM on my server and create a domain under my forest to add only these users. That way i will be able to shut down only the "primary" VM that holds the forest, for maintenance, and leave the other VM working uninterrupted. I am pretty sure there are some alternative scenarios and i am happy to hear them.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What sort of domain resources are required to be available 24/7?
    Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    And what maintenance do you need to perform that requires you shut down the VM? (I've never shut down production VMs for regular maintenance.)

If you have a production AD then you should have a second DC. If this is configured as a GC you can take the other DC offline for hours without anyone noticing - too much.

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A sub-domain requires a second DC so you are no better off and now have a more complex domain.

cheers, Paul