5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Three (now four) Folders Named Music?

Win10: I'm not sure how Explorer got so confused but I've got three (now four) folders named Music in Explorer, with icons that would normally correspond to Music, Pictures, and Videos. Any notion as to how to rename these or get them to recreate? they all seem to be linked to the same thing and changing the properties/location on one changes them all. In attempting to fix this, I ended up with a fourth folder with the pictures folder icon.

The normal Pictures and Video folder icons aren't there.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

davidhk
    Disclaimer :
    I have never tried the following suggestion myself. So I do NOT know if it is applicable to your problem at all.
    Have a look at it and you decide what to do with it.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...aner_free.html

excerpt :
    Duplicate Cleaner Free will find and delete duplicate files, mp3s, photos, old documents and much more.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's for removing dupe files. I don't really have multiple physical directories, just multiple folder icons pointing to the same (or phantom) directories.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have seen this occasionally: try logging off then on, and if that fails restarting. I think it gets its knickers in a twist rather too easily.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mngerhold View Post
    I have seen this occasionally: try logging off then on, and if that fails restarting. I think it gets its knickers in a twist rather too easily.
    Already did that - no help.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    What do you see if you right click on the folders and select properties?

This is what I see for my music folder, note that it has a restore defaults button.

music.PNG

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm including a screenshot since this is quite confusing.

The properties or all three are the same, with the exception of what shows as the name in the General tab. Oddly, one says (or said) Music while the other two (the fourth disappeared again) say Video. However, I experimented around with properties a bit and for whatever reason, they now all say Pictures (beats me)

The location can be changed, but whatever is done to one happens to all three.

Also, oddly, a directory view in explorer shows there are two folders named Pictures, but doing a DIR shows the normal names (Music, Pictures, Videos).

It would seem that Explorer needs to have it's brain wiped and rebuilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Another thing to look into is the hidden desktop.ini file which contains localisation info for the folders.

If the one from the music folder was copied to the pictures folder for example, who knows what explorer would call the folder!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm thinking about reverting to an image from last week, before all this started. My main concern here is that something's gotten hosed and there may be some issues I'm not even aware of.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Interestingly you only have 2 Pictures folders in the folder tree on the left and 3 icons on the right.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I got rid of all that extra junk a long time ago.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    I got rid of all that extra junk a long time ago.
    Is that some kind of third-party add-in or did you just change the explorer settings?

BTW, I reverted to a backup from last week to see if I could figure out what went screwy and find that in the backup, those folders are all labeled OneDrive. It's a very long story, but I suspect that Win10 dislikes having OneDrive anyplace other than it's default location and moving it (particularly to a different drive) messes with it's little mind.

Given that 90% of the time, I use TotalCommander and don't really give a rats butt what Explorer looks like, this is probably a non-issue. I just dislike untidy, unexplained junk.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I just dislike untidy, unexplained junk.
    And you use Windows?

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    And you use Windows?
    Gives me something to bitch about and I can argue endlessly with people without getting into politics or religion. Although I'm not sure about the latter when it comes to operating systems.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware