Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Preserve a free Windows 10 upgrade for later use

LangaList Plus

Preserve a free Windows 10 upgrade for later use

By Fred Langa

With some careful prep work, you should be able to create and preserve a free Win10 upgrade now ó before the July 29 cutoff ó for later use on your qualifying Win7/8 PC. Here's how, along with important caveats and gotchas.

Plus: A reader wonders about a third-party symbolic-link tool.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/preserve-a-free-windows-10-upgrade-for-later-use (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracey Capen For This Useful Post:

zxccxzasd (2016-07-12)

Lounger
    Thanks
    May I suggest that you could have mentioned here that the full text of the column you linked to is only available if you pay money for it?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Bambara36a, searching this forum will provide the same information.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The digital licensing caught my attention: I'm sure it's mentioned on other sites also but I don't subscribe to them and I don't have time to research umpteen websites to try to keep with what's happening in the computer world. Keep up the good work.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As noted in this article, this "reservation" is based on certain assumptions and interpretations of existing policies. Microsoft has not, AFAIK, publicly acknowledged that this is their intent and this will be guaranteed to work after the July 29th cutoff.
    Moreover, there are some unknowns associated with this delayed-upgrade process. To start, only Microsoft knows precisely how Windows 10 will change after July 29. For example, based on the preview builds of the OS, available via the Windows Insider Program, it appears that the current digital-entitlement licensing plan will be replaced with something Microsoft is calling digital licensing, which will work a little differently. Reportedly, future Win10 licenses will be tied not just to a specific machine (as they are now) but also to your Microsoft Account sign in.
    However, it would, perhaps, be a good idea to go through this if there is a chance you might want to upgrade later. At worst, you would waste a day.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2016-07-09 at 13:29.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Microsoft has repeatedly said the once you successfully upgrade to Win10 you have a digital entitlement (i.e. digital license) for that copy of Win10 for the supported life of the device. If you have restored an older version of Windows and have a digital license for Win10 that means at worst you'll have to do a clean install of Win10 at some future date. An upgrade should still work since you have a license.
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    IMO Link Shell Extension is the best solution for links of all kinds - junctions, symbolic links, mount points and hardlinks

I've been using LSE extensively for well over a decade (since Win 2000), can't recall any significant problems over that time. I don't use all of its features. e.g. DeLorean Copy.

nw

9. The Following User Says Thank You to northwood2222 For This Useful Post:

bigbadsteve (2016-07-28)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just noticed that Step 7 states "Use Win10’s built-in roll-back mechanism to revert to your original Win7 or 8.1 setup." I'm curious about the reason for doing that as opposed to restoring your Win 7 image?

Isn't a roll-back likely to leave a lot of additional files that were created during the upgrade?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Lounger
    Thanks

How to see if the Win10 setup is associated with my MS account

In step 4 the procedure mentions
    But itís important to initially associate your new Win10 setup with your Microsoft Account.
    My question is: How can I see if my Win 10 setup is associated with my MS Account?

Here are the details:
    I have upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 using the Windows Update route (i.e. no .iso file needed) and everything went without a hitch. When invited to log in to Win 10 I saw my two accounts from Win 8.1 (one with administrator rights, the other a standard user, both local accounts, i.e. no linked MS account), but I saw no option to create a new account. So I logged in to Win 10 with my standard user account, had a good look around and was pleasantly surprised with the degree of transfer of settings, applications, etc. that had been done. I then went to Microsoft's site and created a new MS Account, which I intended to associate the Win 10 setup with. I then created a new (standard) user for my new MS Account on my new Win 10 system, and I subsequently logged in with this new account. All this went quite smoothly.

If I have understood the step 4 in the procedure properly, logging in with an MS Account will automatically associate my Win 10 setup with the MS Account. However, I received no notification about the creation of the association, so how can I verify that it has actually been done? Where is it that I should look? In the user account data on Win 10? In the online account data for the MS Account?

Any help would be appreciated before I decide if I want to stay with Win 10 or roll back to Win 8.1.

mo.eu

Thanks
    mo.eu,

Have a look at start->settings->update & security->activation

msalic2.PNG

That's what I see.
    Last edited by Browni; 2016-07-11 at 13:19.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Browni,

This is what I have (when logged in with the MS account):
    Activation.png

As I don't see your text "linked to your Microsoft account" I presume that my linkage has not been established yet.

However, there are small differences: you have Win 10 Pro that is activated with a digital license whereas I have Win 10 Home that is activated with a digital entitlement.

mo.eu

Thanks
    I also suspect that Brownie is running an Insider Preview version while yours is a standard released version. You will probably see the "linked to your Microsoft account" tag when you upgrade to the Anniversary edition to be release shortly.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Starry, what's the error message? Is it about the system reserved partition? I started a separate thread on that.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I also suspect that Brownie is running an Insider Preview version while yours is a standard released version. You will probably see the "linked to your Microsoft account" tag when you upgrade to the Anniversary edition to be release shortly.

Jerry
    What Jerry says is correct, it is indeed a preview version (build 14385) but it doesn't show up as such due to the closeness of the next general release.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay. I am logged into my Winsecrets account. When I attempt to click on the link for the full article, I am asked to log in again. When I do, I am told my email or pw is incorrect. How can that be, when I just logged in with the same credentials???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast