Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Adding clean Win 2000 to a dual boot Win 98/Win 20

I have a dual boot Win 98/Win 2000 system, with each OS on a separate drive.

I need to add another Win 2000 to a separate partition on one of the drives.

1. Should I boot to Win 98 or to Win 2000 before adding the 2nd Win 2000 system?

2. Should I boot from the Win 2000 CD-ROM or from setup floppies to ASSURE that I am offered the option of creating the installation in a partition of my choosing?

3. In effect, I want to duplicate my current Win 2000 partition, but change some apps, and maybe a few other things, in the added Win 2000 partition.

What's the best way to clone my current Win 2000 partition?
    Will I have to, sigh, manually go thru all the settings, etc. and copy them onto paper?
    Or can I cheat and copy the partition, then let Win 2000 install over the copied partition?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Adding clean Win 2000 to a dual boot Win 98/Win 20

Howard,

When I have done this I prefer to boot from the CD to perform the clean installation. I usually set up a parallel installation for troubleshooting and testing, and I find that booting from CD saves me some time, but I also have a preference for command lines, which the boot-from-CD option offers.

If your file system is FAT32 you might be able to use XCOPY to clone the Windows 2000 partition from within Windows 98. You need to be in Windows to make XCOPY work. As for getting your settings and apps transferred, I don't know of any effective and reliable methods - but I could suggest that if you do XCOPY, you can change the system variables %systemroot% to point to the new drive/partition, and go from there. I suspect that your applications will break in the process.

It would be interesting to see if the Files and Settings wizard in XP could work with 2000 - I doubt it, but it's also a consideration.
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

My goal is to reduce/eliminate the need to copy all settings and options manually.

I don't use Win 2000 properly, perhaps I should try to do it right this time. I always install things from my own account, which has admin rights. I really should install from the Admin account.

I'd like to have the same stuff in both partitions.
    But the new partition will use Office XP instead of Office 2000, Acrobat 5 instead of Acrobat 4, and NAV 2002 instead of NAV 2001.

I could change SystemRoot, but then there's PathName, etc.

I Just noticed that SourcePath is defined as I:I386, which is interesting as "I" was a network drive on another system and never was a CD-ROM.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The best way to do it (cloning partition) is to use Partition Magic.
    - Create an empty space big enough for partition to be cloned first.
    - Copy partition next (some earlier versions of Partition Magic can not copy NTFS partitions, you can use some other programs like Norton Ghost to do it.)
    - Edit BOOT.INI file in the root of your C: drive to add an option to boot to your new partition (for more information see <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.labmice.net/install/bootini.htm>Windows 2000 Boot.ini Configuration Resources</A>