Star Lounger
    Thanks

Autostart in Windows 10

I am using Windows 10 Home Edition (64-bit).

I have installed this little utility that I've been using for years (starting with Windows 2000!!) which allows me to insert accented alphabet characters into my writings.

The utility is called AX and is available from here: http://vulpeculox.net/ax/index.htm

The problem that I am having is that it will not autostart when Windows 10 boots up. (i.e. the utility's icon should appear in System Tray. Yes, the slide for the icon to appear in System Tray is set to ON...)

The only way that I have now to use it is to go to Start -> All Programs and launch it every time after booting up. It is not a huge inconvenience but would be nice if the utility would autorun at boot up and be ready to use, just like it did in previous Windows editions.

Unfortunately, the author of the utility does not know anything about Windows 10. He recommends that I google "autorun in Windows 10" --or something of that nature-- to see if somebody had a similar problem and found a solution. But I cannot find anything online pertaining to autorun issues and Windows 10. All I can find is articles about "AutoPlay", which of course has nothing to do with my problem.

Do the experts here have suggestions for me?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    TB,

Did you get Windows 10 via Upgrade or did you do a Clean Install?

If you Upgraded my first suggestion would be to uninstall the program, reboot, then reinstall it.

If that fails I'd uninstall it again, then run CCleaner's Registry Cleaner, delete all bad entries it finds (after having it save a recovery file), Reboot, Reinstall.

If that fails, depending on how much trouble this is causing you, I'd consider a Clean Install.

Of course BEFORE attempting any of this I'd create an Image Backup using a tool like Macrium Reflect Free JIC!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    TB,

Did you get Windows 10 via Upgrade or did you do a Clean Install?

If you Upgraded my first suggestion would be to uninstall the program, reboot, then reinstall it.

If that fails I'd uninstall it again, then run CCleaner's Registry Cleaner, delete all bad entries it finds (after having it save a recovery file), Reboot, Reinstall.

If that fails, depending on how much trouble this is causing you, I'd consider a Clean Install.

Of course BEFORE attempting any of this I'd create an Image Backup using a tool like Macrium Reflect Free JIC!

HTH
    A clean install of Windows 10 was made. The whole HDD was re-formatted, so nothing of the previous Windows install was left.
    Someone in a different forum suggested that I put a copy of the shortcut in the startup folder via explorer by going to C:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming\microsoft\wind ows\start menu\programs\startup folder.
    I'll do that this evening and we'll see...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Look in the Start up tab of Task Manager to see if it's listed.
    Autoruns from MS will also show you where the entry is listed.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Start it with Task Scheduler.

EDIT: I installed it, and it appears in the startup folder, and does start with Windows. In the run dialog (WindowsKey + R) type shell:startup and click OK. If it is not there, put a shortcut to the executable in this folder, and you should be good to go.
    Last edited by djohnson; 2016-07-16 at 13:33.