3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Any hope for this old hard drive?

I've got an old Maxtor 20 Gig IDE hard drive that always worked quietly and quickly. One day it wouldn't boot, so I hooked it up as a slave drive and all appeared okay. I ran Scandisk (Win 98 version) on it and it found some errors and supposedly fixed them. Hooked the drive back up as master and it still would not boot. So I thought I would try doing a full format on it. It only went so far and then stopped. I also heard clicking sounds. I still have the drive and am wondering if there's any hope for this HD, or is it a goner? I've got MaxBlast software that I used to copy an even older HD to this one. Could that be of any use?

Thanks
    Clicking noises - not good at all. Format all your personal info and give it a decent burial in the backyard. No kidding, this HD has only a very short time.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could make a nice clock...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    With a couple more hard drives you might have enough for wind chimes.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks for your replies.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A couple of weeks ago I took out a Hard Drive from a Windows 98SE Desktop before bringing the Desktop to Best Buy to recycle.

I have not gotten around to destroying it yet - Hope to do that this weekend.

About a year ago I took a Hard Drive out of an even older Windows 98 Desktop.
    Pretty much had to destroy it just to open it & was able to salvage only the Magnets.

I cut most of the platter off of its spindle by cutting out small triangular shaped pieces using metal shears & disposed of those in bags with food scraps.

But, I could just never seem to find a way to just remove the whole platter.

The Hard Drive for the Windows 98SE Desktop looks like it will be even harder to open.
    In my haste to remove it from the Desktop, I did not 1st format it.

I have a magnet that you plug into a socket.
    I used to use it to "erase" floppy disks.

Would that be strong enough to make the data on the platter "unreadable".
    Or is destroying it my best option.

Are Hard Drives "easily" "opened"?
    I probably would not have the right tools anyway, but opening it would probably be a little less dangerous than beating it with a sledge hammer (even if I wore goggles).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Most modern hard drives are relatively easy to open. You may need a "star" screwdriver or bit set to dismantle one easily (of course you could just use a drill). Most of the ones I've taken apart have been easy. You may find additional screws hidden beneath a label on the drive. They also need to come out before trying to remove the cover.

I'd have to have a very guilty conscience before I'd worry about anyone being able (or skilled enough) to read data from my old platters.

Hope this helps.
    RockE

Thanks
    The platters make really cool coasters for your coffee table. Or, you can simply remove the cover and hang the hd on your wall -- looks very cool for your family and friends.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenXXXX View Post
    Are Hard Drives "easily" "opened"?
    I probably would not have the right tools anyway, but opening it would probably be a little less dangerous than beating it with a sledge hammer (even if I wore goggles).
    Buy some T-4 and bigger Torx bits for your screwdriver. Probably T-10 is as big as you will need. Get the ones with the hole in the tip, because some Torx screws require that. I had to order the small Torx bits online - that sort of thing is not likely to be available locally.

You can take the whole thing completely apart if you have all of the Torx bits.

Thanks
    I think once the onboard mobo is cracked and broken from hammer blows, one can write off any hope of getting any data off of the "naked" platters.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This drive will not even show a drive letter or show up anywhere on the computer. I had deleted what little confidential info. that was on it and was hoping to re-format it. But that didn't happen and it got stuck in the middle while formatting so it would be very hard for someone to get any data off the platters.

What is the reason for getting the magnets out? What are they good for?

Thanks
    Use them to put childrens' art work on the fridge

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2016-07-09)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Use them to put childrens' art work on the fridge
    They ARE good for that.
    Problem is you can never get the art work off the fridge - The magnets are that strong.

Wifey refuses to let me keep the magnets on the fridge - so I use them in my office.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to StevenXXXX For This Useful Post:

CEScott (2016-07-09)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you StevenXXXX, that's what I thought. Why would anyone bother to get magnets out of a hard drive if they're just normal magnets. Really strong ones are worth it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Buy some T-4 and bigger Torx bits for your screwdriver. Probably T-10 is as big as you will need. Get the ones with the hole in the tip, because some Torx screws require that. I had to order the small Torx bits online - that sort of thing is not likely to be available locally.

You can take the whole thing completely apart if you have all of the Torx bits.
    My local auto parts store had a set as did IIRC Home Depot .
    You usually DO need to hunt under labels for screws to remove and some older ones have a sealing tape around the perimeter of the case.
    And remember the magnets are strong enough to cause some pain and damage if left to have their way....
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.