Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

recover from dead disk

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm updating to win 10 and don't get this.

Win 10 has a clone feature. If the disk drive dies and must be replaced, how can I restore the clone if what I've got in the computer is a blank disk?

TIA for any help.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Elbert,

You need to make a recovery (CD/USB) to boot from to restore the clone.)

In the windows search box type: Recovery Drive and it will lead you through the process.

I'd recommend a USB drive of 8Gb in size. NOTE: it will completely erase the drive so make sure it doesn't contain anything you want to keep.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Will it boot up automatically from that USB ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    You would have to make sure USB boot is enabled in BIOS and that it is capable of USB boot.

Thanks
    Elbert Treble

What Windows 10 clone feature are you referring to?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Something else to do before the disk dies then.

This cmd from a Command Prompt (Admin) will restore the old F2, F8 and F12 boot keys -

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Thanks
    Sudo,

That depends on the BIOS/UEFI settings.

On most Dell computers you can rapidly tap the F12 key in the early stages of the boot process to get the Boot Menu which will allow you to select the device to boot from.

You can also set your BIOS so that the 1st boot device is the USB device then the HDD/SDD but this can lengthen the boot time.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Sudo,

That depends on the BIOS/UEFI settings.

On most Dell computers you can rapidly tap the F12 key in the early stages of the boot process to get the Boot Menu which will allow you to select the device to boot from.

You can also set your BIOS so that the 1st boot device is the USB device then the HDD/SDD but this can lengthen the boot time.

HTH
    When I briefly tried Win 10 on my Toshiba Win 7 laptop, after the Start menu went dead where I couldn't do a thing, I found that it booted up too quickly or that the F keys no longer functioned.

Fortunately I already had it set to check DVD and USB before HDD in its BIOS config.

Re-enabling the legacy keys may be a better option so that it doesn't impact on the Start up times, although given how quickly Win 10 does boot up, it would be negligible.

Thanks
    For those with laptops that have usb boot choice ahead of cd-dvd and HDs, don't have a nonBoot usb stick in any of the ports -- on my Acer laptops, it hangs the boot process.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    When I briefly tried Win 10 on my Toshiba Win 7 laptop, after the Start menu went dead where I couldn't do a thing, I found that it booted up too quickly or that the F keys no longer functioned.
    Sudo,

That's why I routinely turn off Fast Boot and besides with a SSD as the boot drive it doesn't save enough time to be worth the problems it can cause. YMMV.

FYI: I also turn off hibernate, of course I also turn off my machine if I am leaving the house where I couldn't hear the UPS beeping!

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    For those with laptops that have usb boot choice ahead of cd-dvd and HDs, don't have a nonBoot usb stick in any of the ports -- on my Acer laptops, it hangs the boot process.
    You shouldn't really have any storage devices plugged in on boot as it confuses Windows with it not knowing what to boot from.

As it goes through the boot sequence it will be looking for the first device that has an OS.

Are we in danger of hijacking this thread

Thanks
    You shouldn't really have any storage devices plugged in on boot as it confuses Windows with it not knowing what to boot from. As it goes through the boot sequence it will be looking for the first device that has an OS. Are we in danger of hijacking this thread
    a snippit from Thread Starter's opening: "...Win 10 has a clone feature. If the disk drive dies and must be replaced, how can I restore the clone if what I've got in the computer is a blank disk?..."
    Restoring either a clone or a full image requires the making and proper usage of either a USB boot stick or a DVD boot. We are filling the bucket of: proper usage
    However, I do believe it's time to ask thread starter: How is it going? Did you succeed?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks

How is it going?

[How is it going? Did you succeed? ]

Not too great. I upgraded my desktop and laptop with just a few quirks I had to work around. But when I upgraded my wife's Asus AIO, the screen went dead and I haven't yet figured out how to fix that problem.

But I appreciate all the help. I think I've got the picture as far as restoring from a clone is concerned. Thanks to all.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A point of clarafication: For an explanation of the difference between "cloning" and "imaging", readers may find this article at PC magazine to be of use. The two operations are somewhat different.

If you have previously made a clone then you can simply swap your hard drives if the original becomes unbootable (i.e., replace the original with the clone).

On the other hand, if you image your original drive (C: ?) then you can boot from a prepared thumb drive (or DVD) and restore the image to your original hard drive. (If the original is damaged beyond repair then you can substitute a new drive and restore the image to it.)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

Vincenzo (2016-07-10)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you get anything to come up on the screen by tapping the spacebar as you switch on and continue to tap it ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast