New Lounger
    West Chester, Pennsylvania, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Full Path & File Name in Title Bar (Word 2000)

I am a proficient WordPerfect user in a law office. I use Windows 98 SE as my operating system. I am wondering if there is a way to have Word 2000 display the full path and filename, rather than just the file name, in the Windows title bar (WordPerfect does this). I have looked in books, browsed this board and the Word help files and can't find anything on this topic. I'd appreciate any assistance that you could provide! Thanks!
    Robin O

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Full Path & File Name in Title Bar (Word 2000)

Robin,

If you're not averse to using code, the following line should do the trick:

ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName

What's a little trickier is determining the best way to deploy that, which would depend on whether you need this feature for just yourself or for other users too; whether you want this to appear for all documents or just some etc.

The simplest approach would be to put the following two procedures into the ThisDocument module of your Normal.dot:

Private Sub Document_New()
    End Sub
    Private Sub Document_Open()
    End Sub

but the general philosophy around here is that global templates are a better way to go.

Gary

New Lounger
    West Chester, Pennsylvania, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Gary,

Sorry to be so thick, but I am way better at WordPerfect than Word! How do I "put the following two procedures into the ThisDocument module of your Normal.dot"? I understand that once I get there, I simply type the six lines that you have, but getting there is the problem. Sorry again, and thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Robin:
    I know this isn't what you asked, but thought I'd mention it anyway. I did what you wanted to do at one time & regretted it. All my documents on the taskbar started with Cataetc. & I couldn't tell one from the other.

Another solution (preferable in my opinion) is to:
    1. Go to Tools/Customize...
    2. Click the Commands tab.
    3. In the Catagories box, scroll to Web
    4. In the Commands box, drag the Address: button to a place on a toolbar. You might want to put it to the right of all your menus, where is has more room.

Now you will see the full path in the Address button, can copy & paste it if you want, & can even open recently opened documents by using the down arrow....and your taskbar will still show your filenames.

Hope this helps.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Further to Gary's suggestion (which I use in preference to the other option, too - I went through this question a few months ago!) - if you find the address field isn't long enough to see the full name (I did), you can make it wider.

Having placed the address field on a toolbar/menubar, click on Tools, Customise again (if the Customise window is not still open), then click once on the address field. Move to hover over the right hand edge of the black box surrounding it; the mouse will become a double headed arrow and you can click and drag to widen the box.

HTH
    Beryl M

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have an attorney who also misses this feature from WordPerfect -- his way around it is to keep the Web toolbar open -- the address field shows the full path for the open file -- less elegant and uses more real estate than the macro -- but it works.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Edited extensively by Sam to correct the mistakes. Sorry!

Robin,
    1) Copy these lines of code:<pre> Option Explicit
    Private Sub Document_Open()
    On Error Resume Next
    End Sub</pre>

2) Paste the lines into a new Word document. Then cut the lines from the document. (this fixes an HTML CR-LF problem)
    3) Press <Alt> <F11> to get to the VBE.
    4) In the Project Explorer Window (upper-left corner), click on the + in front of Microsoft Word Objects under the Normal project.
    5) Double-click ThisDocument which will bring up an empty code window in the upper right.
    6) Click in the code window and paste the code from above.
    7) Close Word, saving the changes to Normal.dot, but not your new document.
    8) Try it out.
    HTH --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Robin, just wanted to let you know that I made changes to my earlier post with instructions as to how to implement a full path in the title bar with Normal.dot. I had jumped into the middle of the thread and thought that you were trying to put a macro into Normal.dot. Anyway, it appears to work now. You will notice that I left out the document new event. There is no path at this point, so it is not necessary. I also added an on error statement to skip over errors. During testing, I sometimes got an error when first opening a document from the MRU list. One final
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>