5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office Home/Student 2010 vs 2016

Without going into the background of this question...

--I'm semi-retired and only use Office intermittently
    --I have a copy of Office 2010 Home/Student (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote) that's licensed for 3 computers
    --I have a Surface Pro 3 (Win10) that I want to put Word and OneNote on (maybe Excel as well)
    --I have ZERO interest in Office 365 or any product that is a subscription
    --I'm generally opposed to the entire concept of any product that is internet-centric
    --95% of my files are on a home NAS and I have roughly 6TB of storage capacity between it and backup drives.
    --I have no need to share or collaborate with anyone

Here is the question. A PC Key for the desktop version of Office Home/Student 2016 (not Office 365) is $120 for one computer. Given the above, are there any features in Office 2016 that make it better than Office 2010? I've looked at comparisons and can't see a single thing that is of interest.

I have used LibreOffice and like it, but that is outside the bounds of this question. Same for other alternatives such as Google Docs, EverNote, and all the others.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    You're already used to Office 2010 so perhaps a better question may be... what is it that Office 2010 won't do that you need it to do?

If the stats are right and generally most people only use 5-10% of Office's functionality (I forget the actual percentage, and it's not really important) then most of it will just be, in effect, 'feature bloat' for you.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    You're already used to Office 2010 so perhaps a better question may be... what is it that Office 2010 won't do that you need it to do?

If the stats are right and generally most people only use 5-10% of Office's functionality (I forget the actual percentage, and it's not really important) then most of it will just be, in effect, 'feature bloat' for you.
    Office 2016 Home/Student has the same modules as Office 2010 Home/Student (Word, Excel, PP, OneNote). I used to use PP but no longer and I used to use a lot more features in Word and Excel.

I'm aware that 2016 has some interface improvements that make it "better suited" to a tablet (like the Surface). However, my experience using the Surface as a tablet have shown me that very few full Windows programs work well this way. OneNote (handwriting) might be an exception but even that has limited use for me.

I've also read, but don't know the facts, that Office 2016 is more efficient on Win10 due to the libraries used.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Going by your statements, it sounds like you have answered your own original question, i.e. it sounds like the possibility of more efficient libraries is the only 'feature' that may make Office 2016 an improvement over Office 2010 for you. Is that possibility worth $120 to you?
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-07-09 at 10:21.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Going by your statements, it sounds like you have answered your own original question, i.e. it sounds like the possibility of more efficient libraries is the only 'feature' that may make Office 2016 an improvement over Office 2010 for you. Is that possibility worth $120 to you?
    You pretty much have it surrounded. There seems to be little difference between 2016 and 2013 and very little difference between 2010 and 2013. But there's always a chance that I'm missing something.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Given the above, are there any features in Office 2016 that make it better than Office 2010?
    I would say no, "given the above."

Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    There seems to be little difference between 2016 and 2013 and very little difference between 2010 and 2013.
    I've used 2010, 2013, and now 2016. I agree, very little for your needs--it's almost all been about cloud, devices and collaboration. Just fyi, some notes I made along the way:

What Office 2013 has v 2010

More sharing plus device and cloud integration.
    Improved interface.
    Some touchscreen functionality.
    Collapsible ribbon.
    Customizing ribbon easier, relatively simple now.
    Word - PDF editing.
    Word - better DTP features.

A nice improvement, but no big reason to upgrade.

What Office 2016 has v 2013

I don't see anything major, but look like generally nice changes. It looks like Office 2016 has been built from the ground-up with mobile and cloud users in mind, for teams it should be a pretty good upgrade.

Core products get a "Tell me" function which looks quite good, and there's also a Smart Lookup which might be useful.
    [ETA I've found the Tell Me genuinely useful in my short time using 2016--it's a function search, 'how do I...?' and it pops up the commands you need]

Excel got rid of the dumb all caps ribbon text.

Improved colors in interface.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

KenYoung (2016-07-19),Trev (2016-07-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Here's a Microsoft article - What's new and improved in Office 2016 for Office 365. It covers the initial release and feature releases through June 2016. Remember, that with Office 2016 click-to-run you get feature release as they are available. You don't have to wait for a service pack or the next "big" version upgrade. Also, you may click on any product icon in the article to see a summary for that product.

Here's another article - Office 2016 vs. 2013: What’s new and improved?. It has a chart showing the new feature of Office 2016 compared to 2010, & 2013.

Here's another comparing showing the differences between Office 2010 & 2013 - What's the difference between Office 2013 and Office 2010?.
    Joe

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Trev (2016-07-15)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. Those pretty much parallel what I'd previously read and pretty much agree with my feeling that 2016 has nothing of significant value for me.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Having recently been involved in development work on a project to read the contents of Word forms into Excel, one thing that very quickly stood out is that compared with 2010, Word 2016 is pathetic at looping through legacy form data. A process that took 4.5 seconds in Word 2010, took 35 in Word 2016. That's not good. While there is much to like in 2016, and I use it for most day to day work and for support purposes, Word 2010 is arguably the best of the Word versions to date.
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    http://www.gmayor.com

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham Mayor For This Useful Post:

gsmith-plm (2016-07-18)