Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Permissions Changed After Clean Reinstall

Understanding the mysteries of "Permissions" in Windows has always been a weakness of mine. Hope someone might shed a little light on what I'm experiencing on my Windows 10 Pro machine.

I have an SSD with the OS and some programs, and an HDD with my data storage. I did a clean reinstall on the SSD, which seemed to go fine except for two issues:

1. When I click on most (not all) of my HDD data folders, I get the pop-up that says "You don't currently have permission to view this folder." My account is the Admin account, so I click on that and get instant access now and in the future. This is just an annoyance, but I don't understand why I get the initial pop-up since I'm using the same MS account login as before the reinstall.

2. This issue is more than an annoyance: Google Chrome will not let me save downloads anywhere on my PC; just gives me a note in the download tab that says "Failed - Insufficient permissions." There is a "More Information" screen on Google, but it is of no help. I tried a reinstall of Chrome, but didn't work. Here's what's strange (to me): other browsers work fine; both I.E. and Edge.

I've done many Windows 7 and 10 clean reinstalls over the years and have sometimes experienced issue #1, but don't understand it. Have never experienced issue #2 before.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Even though you use the same account name the internal identifier (SID) is different because you reinstalled Windows. Permissions are based on the SID which is translated to the account name by Windows. So a different SID can mean different permissions.
    Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

rchris (2016-07-09)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Even though you use the same account name the internal identifier (SID) is different because you reinstalled Windows. Permissions are based on the SID which is translated to the account name by Windows. So a different SID can mean different permissions.

Where can I see the SID? Anyway to control or change it?

Thanks
    When you say clean reinstall did you boot with install media, and install on completely clean partitions? I have a 125 GB SSD which I install Windows 10 on, and all of my programs. I also have 3 HDDs. I never have those issues. When I boot from USB to install Windows I delete every partition on my SSD, then install Windows. Never an issue with permissions.

Thanks
    The Sysinternals utility PsGetSID can be used to show SIDs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

rchris (2016-07-09)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    When you say clean reinstall did you boot with install media, and install on completely clean partitions? I have a 125 GB SSD which I install Windows 10 on, and all of my programs. I also have 3 HDDs. I never have those issues. When I boot from USB to install Windows I delete every partition on my SSD, then install Windows. Never an issue with permissions.
    Yes, I use a UEFI USB ISO and install on a clean partition just as you do. I'm puzzled because I haven't had the Chrome issue before. I'll probably just end up re-doing everything again carefully!