Lounger
    Thanks

Question Finding new (unread) emails & tweaking Account name listing

Hi, Helpers

I've installed Office365 as a 1 year freebie in order to use this drop-dead-dumb Outlook (desktop) in lieu of the replaced excellent Windows Live Mail (WLM), for Microsoft email accounts.
    I'm not interested in the Word/Excel/Powerpoint/etc side of things and don't use those tools. I just want the email functionality.
    1 WLM used to allow each email account's name (far left pane) to be colour-coded (right click and "Set color"). This was very useful for locating an account quickly since I have many email accounts (hotmail, live, gmail, ISP, ...) Is there some buried setting in Outlook (desktop) I can tweak to get the same result? Or would I need to dump all Microsoft accounts and use gmail, etc, instead (then I can continue to use WLM for all my accounts) ?

2 How do you tell which accounts have new unread mails and which haven't, without expanding the folders within the account (Inbox, sent, junk. etc...) ? WLM adds a bracketed number on the account name -- eg. doofus@hotmail.com (3) -- when unread mails are in the inbox. Outlook (desktop) doesn't (at least with default settings) so I have to expand each account one-by-one to check it... is there a setting somewhere where I can get the client to behave as if it's got some commonsense?

3 Can I tweak Windows-7's system tray so that only unread inbox mails are alerted (not spam)?

4 WLM has a "Add sender's domain to blocked sender's list". Is this available somewhere, instead of Outlooks 103% useless options for spam ?

5 Can the space between the LHS account names be reduced to display more of them at the same time ? Looks like triple-space at the moment !

The mind boggles on how a damned good email client (WLM) gets replaced by the garbage known as Outlook. In MHM (my humble mind) anyway.

Sorry for all the Qs. but I've struggled with this, and all the Office paraphrenalia muddies the water for me : there's help on all the things I don't want to know. WTH is wrong is simple email clients ? It's beyond pathetic that if someone wants an email client, he has to buy an entire Office suite which he doesn't ever use.
    Putting the $ back into Micro$oft.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, looks like its either "No solutions" or "No idea".
    Thanks anyway.
    I'll wait until Micro$oft extricates its head from its ar*e... which could be about the 25th century.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Not all of us read all forums every day. We all volunteer our time and energy.

1. no easy way to color code an account. You can set a folder to be in the "Favorites" section at the top for quick, easy reference.

2. A setting per folder. Right click a folder, select Properties, On the general tab select the number you wish to see.

3. Don't know.

4. Yes. In the Ribbon, click the Junk drop down, select Junk E-mail options, click on the "Blocked Senders" tab.

5. If you have the interface set for Touch, set it for Mouse. I'm assuming LHS in the left hand navigation pane.

If you really don't want the rest of Office 365 you can purchase Outlook by itself from the Microsoft store for $109.99 USD. Not sure what that is in Australian.
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Joe... thanks for your reply.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't help me.

1. I was aware of Favorites but it's no use to me. All my email accounts are favourites in one sense or another, depending on the topic/purpose. So I never use it. But if I had favourites, I'd just position those accounts at the top of the LHS list.

2. As I said, I'd like to see which account has unread emails without having to expand the account into its component folders. I have that number setting enabled but it works on the expanded folders, not on the unexpanded account name.

4. As said, for spam, I want to block the sender's domain only, not the sender. Spammers just change the name part (before @) of a spammers' domain. So, if I block sender, an example of my actual blocked senders is :
    cwzg9utdwtochiounw@dowd.thingmanagery.com
    bxt9dtp1lws2@dowd.thingmanagery.com
    pdezcx8y6dey4untad@dowd.thingmanagery.com
    and I could have another another million "senders" using the same domain, even from the same spammer who changes his "name" every day. First time I ever get a spam mail from Parasite X I could block the domain and all future spam from him/her/it would be sent to Hell (along the road paved with bad intentions). Blocking senders might be ok to handle stalkers but it's useless (at least to me) otherwise.

5. I haven't found the touch/mouse setting yet. But as I use Windows 7 as my operating system, I'm guessing that the 2 options wouldn't be available since "touch" isn't available under Win-7 ? What's the full menu navigation to get to it?

Yes, I realize that not everyone checks every thread every day. But there's been 20+ users browsing the Outlook sub-forum every time I visited (since posting the thread) over 29 hrs (I think). I don't expect the resident gurus to reply : anyone who can give an answer from experience is fine by me. And I assume that permanent score of browsing people have some sort of interest in Outlook. I can't believe that millions of other Windows Live Mail refugees aren't interested in finding the same solutions... and may have.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Destry View Post
    ...4. As said, for spam, I want to block the sender's domain only, not the sender...
    Have a look at MailWasherPro: http://www.firetrust.com/products/mailwasher-pro

I've been using MailWasherPro since August 2003 (best anti-spam solution IMHO).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    1. Favorites are a way to get around having to expand accounts. You put the folders you most frequently reference there and then expand the account only when needed.

2. You don't have items to count at the account level. Only at the folder level. If you have rules which delete items or use the spam filter a count at the account level doesn't make much sense.

4. You can put domains in the blocked sender tab. Did you read the text?

5. Sorry, I haven't used Windows 7 in a long time. Outlook probably won't have a touch/mouse option on a non-touch device.
    Joe