Thanks

PowerShell Settings

Since I am constantly meddling with my system -- on top of the Insider "updates" -- what do I need to back up to save any progress (cough) I have made with PowerShell -- scripts, settings, etc.?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Most of your PowerShell settings should be in file named Microsoft.PowerShell_profile.ps1 (or profile.ps1) in your ~\Documents\WindowsPowerShell directory, so those will be backed up as part of you normal backup (you do back up your documents periodically, right?). There are also global profiles, see https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=vs.85).aspx for the locations.

The only setting I don't know how to backup is the execution policy; but then if you need to you can always run Set-ExecutionPolicy to reset it.

Your scripts are just files on disk somewhere. If you store your scripts in your document directory, they are already being backed up by your normal back. If, like me, you store your scripts elsewhere, you'll have to configure your backup software to back up that directory (or directories) also.

If you installed extension, such as the PowerShell Community Extensions, the best thing would be to reinstall them if you need to (instead of attempting to back them up). If, like me, you downloaded some .NET DLLs to provide additional functionality (I downloaded one that reads MP3 tags), and those files use an "unzip to install" mechanism (as opposed to running an installation program), you should backup that DLL and its associated files (or the original zip file you downloaded, which is what I do).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cafed00d For This Useful Post:

CWBillow (2016-07-10)

Thanks
    Thanks. I'll save this post off and use it in reference going forward.

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"