Thanks

Yet another way Microsoft tries to sneak Windows 10 onto computers

I downloaded and installed Windows Movie Maker for Windows 7, a part of the Windows Essentials 2012 program suite. I got it from the Microsoft web site.

When I began the install, my GWX Control Panel was triggered. Apparently, Microsoft tries to sneak in Windows 10 with this program.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The "Get Win10" button or did it actually start to download an upgrade?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    I knew because my GWX Control Panel icon in the system tray was flashing an alert.

I have since discovered that my Windows update settings were changed to automatically download and install updates. (I had set it to let me know without downloading or installing them.)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Only about 19 days to go

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    The Windows Essential installer changed Windows Update settings to automatic d/l & install. That is nothing new with Win10. It has been doing that since before the 2012 version.
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems to me that the hype about updating to Win 10 is getting rather too shrill. What's the big deal? If I "upgrade" now from 7 to 10 I'll have to shell out for a new version of Office, or pay a subscription. I have Office 2003, it does everything I could ever need. Apart from not doing anything extra I totally hate the newest interface. (I'd have been happy to stick with Word 6, even that could do more than 99.999% of the users ever did.) So my 'free' update comes at a price for at least one piece of software, and no doubt there'll be more.

On the other hand... Win 7 is at least going to get extended support for another 5 years. There is not one single 'feature' that I need in 10, and some I definitely do not want. In 5 years this laptop will be a relic, the next one will come with an OS, which one will be my choice. I do not have to decide before the 29th of anything.

But what's the worst thing that could happen if I don't "upgrade" until extended support ceases? I'd have to pay for it, about $200 at the moment for the Pro version. So that's $200 divided by 5; $40 per year; 80 per week; 11 a day. Would I put up with the hassle of Win 10 for 11 a day? I don't think so. But wait, wait, I won't be saving that 11 because Word 365 would cost me $70 a year, that's $350 over 5 years. or I could buy the Home version for $150. Neither version would do one thing that I can't do now, at least not one thing that I need to do. (Yes, I have used Open Office, but I have several macros in Word that make life easier. Open Office can't record macros, at least not the last time I asked about it. As for writing macros? Just try it.)

So for at least 5 years I'm not going to get involved, or, being well past my allotted three score and ten, maybe I'll never need to make that decision.

David
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2016-07-12 at 17:00. Reason: addition

Thanks
    Hi David. Where are you are getting your information from?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros
    If I "upgrade" now from 7 to 10 I'll have to shell out for a new version of Office, or pay a subscription. I have Office 2003, it does everything I could ever need. Apart from not doing anything extra I totally hate the newest interface. (I'd have been happy to stick with Word 6, even that could do more than 99.999% of the users ever did.) So my 'free' update comes at a price for at least one piece of software, and no doubt there'll be more.
    Microsoft's official word is that only Office 2007 and above are confirmed to be compatible, while older versions "are not certified compatible with Windows 10 ". However, Office 2003 does work in Windows 10, like Office 2000 (except for Outlook). Have a look at this previous WSL thread: Office Windows 10 and Office 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros
    (Yes, I have used Open Office, but I have several macros in Word that make life easier. Open Office can't record macros, at least not the last time I asked about it. As for writing macros? Just try it.)
    I personally wouldn't use OpenOffice these days. Development has all but stopped since it was taken over by (given to) the Apache Foundation. Even so, OpenOffice does let you record macros, as this screenshot from OpenOffice Writer 4.1.2 shows:

OpenOffice_record_macro.png
    Click to enlarge

LibreOffice - which I would suggest in preference to OpenOffice - also allows you to record macros:

LibreOffice_record_macro.png
    Click to enlarge

(I would be the first to agree that writing macros in Open/LibreOffice is, umm, different. )

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-07-12 at 17:51.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Hi David. Where are you are getting your information from?
    If you mean the information regarding Open Office& macros I got it from one of the experts who answers questions like mine in their forum. He was quite specific, could not be done, and to prove his expertise he posted a "simple" example, like a page and a half long. However, that was some time ago.

As to Windows information, well this lounge, and assorted tech sites. And as for the numbers...well they're self-evident. I'm going to wait for Win 11, or 12, or if I don't last that long I'll go with whatever OS they have in the nether world.

David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    @Rhinoceros,

Office 2003 will run on Win10. Extended support for Win7 ends January 14, 2020. See Microsoft Support Lifecycle.
    Joe