2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgraded to Win 10 once, then reinstalled Win7, now can't upgrade to Win10 again - display

This seems weird. Last year I successfully upgraded my oldish Win7 computer to Win10. I didn't like it much (one annoyance was that I could no longer just invoke "sleep", only "hibernate," which meant a longer recovery time) and just couldn't seen any great advantage in 10. However, I failed to downgrade within the 30 days. Eventually, I simply bought a new hard drive (the system now has 3 HDs) and reinstalled Win7 on it. Windows has been nagging me to upgrade to 10, telling me my system is ready, so after much humming and hawing, I finally decided to upgrade. Surprise! In the initial phase of the upgrade, when Windows checks my system, it now tells me I can't upgrade because my display is not compatible with Win10. Whoa! That's strange, because it was compatible last year. My monitor is a Flatron plug-n-play, which I think means it doesn't need a special driver.

I won't be terribly upset if I don't upgrade to Win10, since my system is working fine under Win7. The only concern I have is potential obsolescence and vulnerability to viruses. But I'm puzzled about the failure to upgrade. Any ideas?

Thanks
    First thing to check is that your graphics card drivers are up to date.

Thanks
    Iíve had a couple of W7 machines that failed the Windows checks during an upgrade process quoting various reasons.
    Ignoring them and simply downloading/using the Media Creation Tool to upgrade solved the issues as if they were never there in the first place.
    Give it a try if you want to upgrade.

Windows 10 media Creation Tool

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidToronto
    In the initial phase of the upgrade, when Windows checks my system, it now tells me I can't upgrade because my display is not compatible with Win10. Whoa! That's strange, because it was compatible last year.
    I've had this several times with older laptops now. Use the Media Creation Tool - see Moonshine's post #3 - to install Windows 10. It's likely that the Action Center will show a warning about 'unable to find display driver' or words to that effect. Use Settings > Update & Security > Check for updates. It's likely there will be an update to Windows 10 amongst the Defender definitions, Flash update, etc. After installation and a restart you should find that the most recent update to Windows 10 has fixed your display driver issue.

Hope this helps...