Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems with Internet Explorer 11 under Win 10

I am hoping someone can help me resolve this issue.

I am running Internet Explorer 11.0.32 under Windows 10 Pro. For some reason there seems to be certain sites that, when I try to access them, they seem to take a very long time to come up, or just simply "hang IE 11 - the little wheel in the tab just continues to go around and around with no resolve to show the URL requested. Often the only solution is to invoke Task Manager and shut down IE 11 and restart it as trying to close the "spinning wheel" site does not work and trying to shut down IE11 does not work either. This often solves the problem. For example, when I tried to get to this site, the "Home" page for Windows Secrets came up okay, but when I clicked on the "Internet Explorer and Edge" Forum page, IE went into its "loop" again. To resolve the problem, I used Task Manager to shut IE down and start again. This solved the access to this forum. This situation does not seem to occur with every URL I go to, although sometimes returning to Google also creates this situation. My questions then are:

Is this a problem I am unknowingly creating as it did not happen under the old Win 8.1?

Is this a problem with IE11 under Win 10 Pro?

Is there an adjustment in the Tools>Internet options>Advanced selections that I need to "fix"?

Is this a problem with the URL I am trying to access? Maybe it isn't set up for IE 11 and/or Win 10 Pro?

Is there another problem/situation that I don't know about that could be causing this situation?

Any insight or thoughts that anyone might care to share will be greatly appreciated as this problem is beginning to drive me $%^&*().

Ron M

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It could be because of all of the adverts on a web page and installing something like AdblockPlus may help.

https://adblockplus.org/releases/adb...or-ie-released

After you have installed it, right click on the top bar and check Status bar then restart IE where you will see its red ABP symbol.

Right click on that and select Settings/Manage will allow you to whitelist websites.

When I get the busy when trying to get to a website or navigating in the forum, I'll click on the Tools cog - Internet options and under the Content tab - Clear SSL state.

When I constantly get the busy when waiting for a website to come up, I'll run a command prompt as an admin (Command Prompt (Admin) in Win 10) and enter netsh winsock reset followed by
    shutdown /r /t 00 to close the cmd window and effect the reboot.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2016-07-15),Ron M (2016-07-10)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is an interesting approach, but a couple of the sites that give me consistent problems have very little, if any, advertising on them.

One thing I do wonder about is my connection to my ISP and whether that is the root of the problem. I have a lap top and will check out if it is having similar problems as it uses the same WiFi connection to my ISP.

Ron M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2016-07-10 at 20:56.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That's where the winsock cmd applies, but you could also try changing your DNS servers in the computer - I use Google's as TalkTalk's tend to put a yellow alert initially on my WiFi icon on start up.

I'm not sure how you would do this in Win 10, so I'll describe the procedure for Win 7 and let you sort it from there.

You can either right click on the WiFi icon in the system tray and select Open Network and Sharing Center - click on Change adapter settings or go Start - type ncpa.cpl and press enter.

I assume you are using wireless but right click on whichever adapter you are using and select Properties.

It may be worth unchecking the box for (TCP/IPv6) as that can cause problems but click on (TCP/IPv4) and then on Properties.

Click on the lower radio button for Use the following DNS servers and in the upper row of boxes enter 8.8.8.8 then tab down to the lower row and enter 8.8.4.4

Check the box to Validate settings upon exit - OK - Close and that will start the trouble shooter which should return no problems found.

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

exit

Changing the DNS servers in the computer will override those in the router for that machine and to restore to the default DNS servers, just click on the radio button above for the auto DNS servers.

Thanks
    Try running IE 11 with no add ons:
    http://www.dell.com/support/article/...9/SLN265764/EN

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Try running IE 11 with no add ons:
    http://www.dell.com/support/article/...9/SLN265764/EN

Jerry
    This seems to work - so far so good. The question now is which of the "add ons" do I disable, or do I have to do it one at a time, trial and error, so to speak, to find out the culprit(s)?

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    What are the add-ons? Someone here may recognize a questionable one.

If you don't want to list them try a binary type search. Enable half. If the problem occurs, disable half of the active ones. Continue to enable/disable half until you narrow it down.
    Joe

Thanks
    Is there any reason that you are still using IE? Uninstall it and use Edge or you could install Opera or Firefox which are both better browsers.

Thanks
    +1 to Joe's suggestions.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Is there any reason that you are still using IE? Uninstall it and use Edge or you could install Opera or Firefox which are both better browsers.
    Yes. IE presents me with my Favorites in a nice available panel on the left side of my monitor. I can scroll through this panel, open and close "high-level" entries, etc.

I have tried Firefox and I cannot seem to be able to get the same type of display for my Favorites. When I do get a panel to open with my favourites, it takes up about one-third of the screen and this is unacceptable. Alternatively, it offers to open them in tabs along the top of my display and this is about as useful as five wheels on a car.

Edge - I tried to start it up and got to the point where it was "transferring my favorites". I gave up on this after ten minutes + waiting for it to complete this stage of the startup. After all, the Favorites are in a folder and it is a very simple matter to point Edge to the folder and have it work from there. What took over 10 minutes, I do not know, but if this is an example of how efficient it is then I am not even going to bother. Also, I have yet to hear anyone say anything good about it. All I ever see are complaints about how "bad" it is in terms such as "brain dead", slow, inefficient, etc. So why would I change to this?

I have never tried Opera and see no reason to do so as IE meets all my requirements at present.

This discussion- alternative browsers is really a topic for another thread.

Ron M

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would agree about better browsers, but you should not uninstall IE (even if you can) because it is an integral part of the system, and must be kept up to date with monthly patches, even if you never use it for browsing.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundaburra View Post
    I would agree about better browsers, but you should not uninstall IE (even if you can) because it is an integral part of the system, and must be kept up to date with monthly patches, even if you never use it for browsing.
    Thanks. I knew there was a catch somewhere . There always seems to be where Microsoft is involved.

Ron M

Thanks
    Uninstall is perhaps a poor choice of word. To remove IE11, you use the Turn Windows Features On or Off feature in Programs and Features. It just removes the IE11 GUI and has no other effect on the OS.
    A more efficient way to use bookmarks is to create a shortcut to C:\Users\YourName\Favorites and put it in the Taskbar. This gives you a pop up window in which to arrange your shortcuts in any way you want without actually having to use a browser. Clicking on a link will start your default browser at that page. You can also paste new shortcuts directly into this window, create or delete folders or rename a shortcut to something more understandable. If you have dozens of shortcuts, its also possible to create a new folder, in addition to the main Favorites folder, also linked to the Taskbar, to contain only frequently used shortcuts.
    Your shortcut should look like this. Create it on the Desktop, drag it onto the Taskbar and delete the original from the Desktop.

C:\Windows\explorer.exe C:\Users\YourName\Favorites
    Last edited by Calimanco; 2016-07-14 at 23:48.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Uninstall is perhaps a poor choice of word. To remove IE11, you use the Turn Windows Features On or Off feature in Programs and Features. It just removes the IE11 GUI and has no other effect on the OS.
    A more efficient way to use bookmarks is to create a shortcut to C:\Users\YourName\Favorites and put it in the Taskbar. This gives you a pop up window in which to arrange your shortcuts in any way you want without actually having to use a browser. Clicking on a link will start your default browser at that page. You can also paste new shortcuts directly into this window, create or delete folders or rename a shortcut to something more understandable. If you have dozens of shortcuts, its also possible to create a new folder, in addition to the main Favorites folder, also linked to the Taskbar, to contain only frequently used shortcuts.
    Your shortcut should look like this. Create it on the Desktop, drag it onto the Taskbar and delete the original from the Desktop.

C:\Windows\explorer.exe C:\Users\YourName\Favorites
    Can a similar thing be done with Firefox bookmarks?

Thanks
    Not directly as FF stores them in a different way. You need to export your FF bookmarks to the Favorites folder as HTML and then set up as above. If FF is set as your default browser, the shortcuts will open in FF. You don't need the IE GUI to be installed to do this.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

Trev (2016-07-15)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast