2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will Upgrade Affect Dual Boot?

I have dual booted Win7 and a Linux distro for many years without issue. I am considering upgrading to Win10. I believe I remember that the boot loader gets modified when setting up the dual boot. Will this be effected in any way by the upgrade. I believe I can make a copy of that file if necessary. Is there anything else I should do to protect the dual boot setup?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Yobil,

When I upgraded my Dual Boot Win7 w/office 2003 | Win 7 w/office 2010 laptop the Win 10 boot loader took over from EasyBCD and the second boot was no longer available. However, simply loading EasyBCD on Win 10 and running it found the Win 7 OS and let me easily change the boot loader to offer the option.

As EasyBCD is free for home use I'd recommend getting it and setting it up on both OSes. You should then have an easy time converting one of them to Win 10.

Of course you should still DO AN IMAGE BACKUP BEFORE UPGRADING!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

curiousclive (2016-07-11)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I currently use GRUB which is a Linux thing. Probably all I need to do is copy the boot loader file and copy it back when the upgrade is done. I'll have to check further. At least your comment tells me what to expect. Thanks