iNET Interactive
    Thanks

The final countdown for Windows 10 upgrading

Field Notes

The final countdown for Windows 10 upgrading

By Tracey Capen

With the next big Windows 10 update due out in just over three weeks, a new Win10 Preview build suggests that Microsoft is putting the final touches on the Anniversary Upgrade.

On the other hand, based on emails we receive, many Windows users are worried that they won’t be able to upgrade to the free Win10 before the July 29 deadline. Here are some sources for help.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/the-final-countdown-for-windows-10-upgrading/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracey Capen For This Useful Post:

zxccxzasd (2016-07-12)

Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade errors to Win 10

As an IT Admin I have made efforts (no domain, separate campuses, walking alot) to upgrade many of our Win 7 Pro systems to Win 10 Pro... but error after error occur (almost the same situation as with the 'update' delays with recent Win 7 updates)... One out of three perfectly good, fully updated, sanitized and clean booted Win 7 Pro machines will NOT update to Windows 10 Pro... most common is error code 0x80070057. Rather frustrating.

Thanks
    Caution: If you upgrade from Win7 to Win10 in order to get a free activation license and then roll back to Win 7, as recommended in a recent ZDNet article (http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-lock-in-your-free-windows-10-upgrade-and-keep-using-your-old-windows-version/), some things might not work. I did it and found that Windows Media Player was totally hosed after I reverted to Win7. It would not recognize any of my music. The mp3 files were all there, but Windows Media Player said I had no music, and I could not get it to recognize my music. Fortunately I had a full system image from Macrium Reflect, and I was able to roll back and everything worked. After the rollback Backblaze was locked because it detected that something was out of sync, but I was able to reinstall Backblaze following the directions on their website and get it going again. All in all I lost a few hours and had some frustration, but now things are good.
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 upgrade, QUESTION, downloading the install package?

using the MEDIA CREATION TOOL -
    for the upcoming windows 10 update, will the MEDIA CREATEION TOOL have the latest version? this way, I can download it, copy to USB, and install, (sometimes makes for easier installs)

the reason I ask, is about the VERSION - recently, seems like the TOOL has a PRIOR version on it (had downloaded a version, to clean up a machine, the machine had, for example, version ...nnn123 on it, from all the periodic patches;
    but the media creation tool when run (to reset), left machine with ...nnn121 on it, then I had to go get the patches, updates, etc

HOW to tell, when downloading through media creation tool, WHAT the version is that is contained in that package? (such as 10586.420, most recent)?

Thanks
    such as 10586.420, most recent
    Most recent is 10586.494 on 7/12/16. The MCT is "supposed" to be the most recent.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for reply

Any way to determnine WHAT version is stored wthin the install package (right clicking, properties, etc?)
    thanks

Thanks
    I can only venture a guess that after downloading to USB you should be able to right click on setup and choose properties to get the version but not sure it will give you the build number. As I said earlier, it should be the current build. If not, you can always update after installation.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95
    I can only venture a guess that after downloading to USB you should be able to right click on setup and choose properties to get the version but not sure it will give you the build number.
    If only it was that easy...

Have a look at this TenForums article to see the additional hoops you need to jump through. Thank you MS.

Hope this helps...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-07-13)

Thanks
    Gosh Rick, is that all, piece of cake, LOL.
    Hopefully aoz is still watching this thread so that he/she can see what is involved. If it were me, I would just install it and update if necessary.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95
    Gosh Rick, is that all, piece of cake, LOL.
    Hopefully aoz is still watching this thread so that he/she can see what is involved. If it were me, I would just install it and update if necessary.
    Unfortunately the article also just assumes that DISM.EXE is available on the device you want to check the MCT-created installer on. I think I tend to agree with you about just installing it...

Thanks
    I believe with a little substitutionary imagination...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG1x0vHuUQ
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/