2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hibernate has turned into hibernate + immediate resume

Within the past week my Win7 laptop has stopped hibernating correctly. It does it's thing, the sreen goes dark and all the lights go off and then, within a couple of seconds it starts up again. It's not a restart because all I need to do is the 3-finger salute and tap the enter key to be back where I was. I've checked the settings under advanced power options and they're the way they were before this happened. I've tried a total shutdown and that doesn't fix the problem either.

Suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try turning Hibernation off, reboot then turn it back on should the file have become corrupt.

Run a command prompt as an admin by going Start - type cmd - right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then type and enter these commands -

powercfg -h off

shutdown /r /t 00

Redo the powercfg command changing off to on to re-enable.

Alternatively, you could try your restore points back to when it was okay.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The powercfg command does work (that option isn't there any more) and the shut the lid default action changed to "shut down", but it doesn't help: when I close the lid absolutely nothing happens--the computer remains totally active, with just the display off.

The shutdown line doesn't do anything but give me a couple of screens' worth of info. The first screen is the usage of the shutdown command and the second is line after line of why the computer can't comply. If I knew how to copy that info, I'd post it here.

Now what, please?

Thanks
    Are you using any peripherals like an external keyboard or mouse? If so, check in Device Manager that their Power Management settings are not set to allow them to wake your laptop.

keyboard_power.png
    Click to enlarge

Also, check your laptop's BIOS/UEFI for 'power on' settings for devices like trackpad, spacebar, etc.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-07-12 at 19:29.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That shutdown command needs to be entered with the spaces exactly as I've typed it and they are two zeros at the end of the command, otherwise you would get a list of the shutdown help options.

The cmd is used to exit the cmd window and effect an immediate reboot.

Have you turned Hibernate back on to see if it made any difference or tried your restore points back to when it was working ?

To copy & paste to post the output of a cmd window, right click in the text area - click on Select all and press enter.

You can then right click in the reply box and select Paste.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-07-12 at 18:58.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Are you using any peripherals like an external keyboard or mouse? If so, check in Device Manager that their Power Management settings are not set to allow them to wake your laptop.
    Hope this helps...
    Thank you. My mouse and trackpad were both set allow them to wake the computer. That's now turned off. I'll see what happens.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by areader View Post
    Thank you. My mouse and trackpad were both set allow them to wake the computer. That's now turned off. I'll see what happens.
    Just bear in mind that those were the normal default settings for external keyboard and/or mouse so may be un-related to the issue you are experiencing. Check your laptop's BIOS/UEFI for similar 'wake up' settings and follow Sudo15's advice.

Hope this helps...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nothing's changed after changing the wake settings on my mouse and touchpad and correctly typing in the shutdown command (I don't know what I mis-typed, but the third try worked correctly.)

I don't know how to get to the BIOS/UEFI settings on this laptop: I bought it used with no documentation. Back to the shop I got it from...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried your restore points yet ?

When you first switch on you may see a prompt to press F2 for Setup and F12 for startup options.

F2 will get you into the BIOS but not sure about UEFI.

What's the make & model of the computer ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't tried restore points. In all my computing, back to the DOS days, I've never needed to use a restore point. The really bad things which a restore point would have helped all happened before they thought them up. Will I lose things I've saved to C:\Data and/or folders in my User folder? In other words, should I back those up first?

I don't see anything when I turn on the computer except black and then the Windows screen. I will have to have the repair shop set the BIOS so I can access it.

The computer is an HP Pavilion dm4-3099se Entertainment PC according to the sticker on it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by areader
    The computer is an HP Pavilion dm4-3099se Entertainment PC according to the sticker on it.
    The BIOS Access key for this Pavilion laptop (and most HP devices) is the F10 key (and ESC then F9 for the Boot Menu).

The (generic) PDF manual for it is http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03097122.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-07-14 at 13:49.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you!! I will definitely download that generic manual

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So isn't it coming back properly after it restarts after Hibernate ?

A restore point doesn't affect personal stuff - all you will lose are any programs you installed after that last or whichever restore point you use, but click on Show more restore points and then on Scan for affected programs after you click on one.

Your antivirus program won't be happy and that will need bringing back up to date after the restore.

If it reports as unsuccessful then boot up into Safe Mode and try it again as AV programs can interfere with it.

Before you go resetting the BIOS, have you checked Event Viewer - I would think there would be a repetition of the same Error(s).