Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I forgot my windows 7 login password, how to reset?

    I really did myself in here. I created a password for my laptop just before I fell alseep and now I cant remember it so i cant login in to my laptop, i don't want to reinstall windows 7 due to there are many important files on it, so is there any other ways that can reset my forgotten password? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,735
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 128 Times in 125 Posts
    Going forward, please keep a username/password log locked in a drawer, updated daily.
    Are your data folders and files separate from Libraries/My Documents/My Settings? Is this the first password you created? Do you have current OS and/or Data partition backups? If the password cannot be successfully guessed:
    If no current full image backups, if no prior password -- you can create a Puppy Linux usb or dvd boot and copy all your data folders and files onto reliable external media. Unlike Windows 95/98+ and earlier Windows -- Windows 7, 8+ & 10 cannot be "cracked" in any easy way.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

  3. #3
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,735
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 128 Times in 125 Posts
    I do not know if or how EFS-encrypted files situation enters in - can somebody educate me?
    My earlier post assumed that the built-n admin acct is not reachable under the present circumstances.
    On all three of my computers, I have three accts available at login -- built-in Administrator, Roland, & Guest. I don't believe the thread-starter has similar available.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-07-13 at 12:58.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,640
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 883 Times in 844 Posts
    Requests for password bypass from a new poster have to be treated with caution as there is no way of knowing if the OP is the lawful owner of the machine.

    Requests from an established member would probably be treated differently.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

    Dick-Y (2016-08-09),satrow (2016-07-13),Zig (2016-07-13)

  6. #5
    Super Moderator satrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cardiff, UK
    Posts
    4,492
    Thanks
    284
    Thanked 577 Times in 480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Requests for password bypass from a new poster have to be treated with caution as there is no way of knowing if the OP is the lawful owner of the machine.

    Requests from an established member would probably be treated differently.
    ^^ Worth repeating ^^

  7. #6
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,735
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 128 Times in 125 Posts
    Like I hinted at in my earlier post:
    I guess it's Puppy Linux boot and data folder and file copy onto external media time. And, then, a reinstall time. Hopefully, after that -- a log book with usernames and passwords locked in a drawer time.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

  8. #7
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Going forward, please keep a username/password log locked in a drawer, updated daily.
    Are your data folders and files separate from Libraries/My Documents/My Settings? Is this the first password you created? Do you have current OS and/or Data partition backups? If the password cannot be successfully guessed:
    If no current full image backups, if no prior password -- you can create a Puppy Linux usb or dvd boot and copy all your data folders and files onto reliable external media and reset windows 7 password. Unlike Windows 95/98+ and earlier Windows -- Windows 7, 8+ & 10 cannot be "cracked" in any easy way.
    thanks for your suggestion, I will try your method.
    Last edited by Hanbrues; 2016-07-27 at 21:56.

  9. #8
    Bronze Lounger DrWho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,501
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 205 Times in 163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanbrues View Post
    I really did myself in here. I created a password for my laptop just before I fell alseep and now I cant remember it so i cant login in to my laptop, i don't want to reinstall windows 7 due to there are many important files on it, so is there any other ways that can reset my forgotten password? Thanks!
    Every respectable Computer Tech,will have a copy of "PC Unlocker", or something similar, that quickly and easily removes passwords. So take your laptop to any good PC Tech and have them remove the password for you. They may or may not ask you for proof that you are the legal owner of the Laptop.

    I would! And yes, I AM a PC Tech, and I do have the "PC Unlocker" program.
    And every time someone brings me a PC to repair and they fail to give me the password, they get their PC back with NO password on it. I don't have the time to deal with that BS.

    Then NEVER put a password on any PC unless you've already written it down. In most homes, a password is not even needed.

    Good luck Mate!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

    Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

  10. #9
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,640
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 883 Times in 844 Posts
    All of this advice in how to get around the problem, yet the OP hasn't been back since opening the thread.....

  11. #10
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,735
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 128 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    All of this advice in how to get around the problem, yet the OP hasn't been back since opening the thread.....
    Doesn't matter; others having the same or very similar problem will benefit from this thread
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

  12. #11
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,640
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 883 Times in 844 Posts
    Yes, but you don't know the pedigree of any others who are looking for a workaround - that's why password bypass requests on some forums are closed straight away by the Mods.

  13. #12
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,735
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 128 Times in 125 Posts
    Sudo15, you're correct! I thought we were mentioning the potential solution set ONLY for those holding a bill of sales, proof of ownership, those taking their computer to a local fix-it shop and those simply wanting to know what s/he is going to be in for. However, since we cannot validate ownership in this or any other forum -- The 'Net cannot offer any help, any advice, any utility -- in depth. In short: must go to a local fix-it shop, end of story.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •