3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

VERIO HOSTING SOLD - Transferred to Endurance Intl. - nothing works now ????

SEE BELOW. ISSUE RESOLVED BY MOVING OVER TO SITE GROUND HOSTING.

Verio Hosting service was sold earlier this year to a company called Endurance International. Once they migrated my site to the new servers my ability to access my website has gone down the toilet. The site is available online for the most part but that is about it. I've spent hours on the phone with Endurance tech people with promises of "we're working on it now" and if anything I'm going backwards. Yesterday they had it so I could at least log in to my account control panel. Today..........again..........that doesn't work. So no account or FTP access and now I discover my online customer inquiry form no longer works. The phone tech people know a few basic things to try but have to pass everything to the "next level"..........who you can't speak with on the phone.

Can someone suggest an alternate quality company to sign on with. I dread the thought of having to do all the work of transferring but this but what I'm going through is ridiculous.

Thanks,
    BH Davis
    www.curvedmouldings.com
    Last edited by bhdavis; 2016-08-03 at 10:46.

Thanks
    Your experience is not unique, sad to say. Before you sign on with any new company, make sure they are not 'secretly' owned by EIG. Their M.O. is to buy up hosts--many well-regarded--and leave the brand in place without any overt change. Gradually the quality of the bought company's service and support goes downhill.

EIG is a money game owned by financial companies, they probably own close to 100 hosts and related web businesses worldwide by now. They got their IPO 2-3 years ago and are likely to keep buying companies for as long as there's money to be made by degrading them while indulging in aggressive marketing to combat the negative PR.

If you're familiar with Verio's history, then you'll know the M.O. since Verio did almost the same thing with dozens/hundreds of small but good ISPs.

Since I left a previously excellent host soon after it was acquired by EIG, I've been with Namecheap. I had my domains with them for the previous decade and found them excellent. Normally I advise keeping domains and hosting with separate companies, but with the way EIG has hovered up so many, that may not be very feasible. My Namecheap hosting has been flawless for over a year.

I can't recommend any other host, as hosting is no longer a significant part of my business so I haven't kept up with the industry in the last year or two.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought I would update this post.

The final straw with Verio was when they shut down my site because the billing information didn't transfer with the website and the credit card payment was 2 weeks late.......by their own fault as the card information was recorded with the old owners of Verio. No notification........just shut off the site.

I made a payment to get the site back online but immediately began looking for another hosting service.

I settled on SITE GROUND and could not be happier. They are European based with servers in Chicago.

During the sales process and the tech support after signup I've probably called 15 times. They have always answered the phone IMMEDIATELY. The same people pick up whether it is a sales or tech question. I actually get the same person multiple times on a single topic with multiple calls.

Once I was transferred over I had a few glitches to resolve. They took care of ALL of the issues in MINUTES. I fought with Verio for 2 weeks getting nowhere. I probably had 6 - 8 hours of total phone time with them and still the site wasn't working correctly. The propogation over to SITE GROUND was completely over night (if there was down time due to propogation I never even saw it) and within a couple hours this morning the site is 100% working properly. It took a couple hours because I had other things to do.........not because I was waiting for them. As I said above the last couple issues were sorted out in a few minutes once I called.

So here's a vote for SITE GROUND as a hosting company. They were rated very high in customer support by PC Magazine and I found the rating totally accurate.

BH

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Nice to have reports of a good experience.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Excellent news BH, long may it last
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdavis View Post
    So here's a vote for SITE GROUND as a hosting company. They were rated very high in customer support by PC Magazine and I found the rating totally accurate.
    BH
    +1 for SITEGROUND. Earlier this year I moved one of my clients to SITEGROUND from a different host. The move was speedy and without problems. They were fast and thorough; my client could actually have managed the whole thing without my help or advice. Having dealt with other hosts in the past I was favorably impressed.
    Just for the record, I have no personal or business interest in them nor any other web hosting company.

RockE