New Lounger
    Thanks

Missing switch for metered service

I recently upgraded from 7 to 10. One of the first things I noticed is the switch for selecting metered service is missing. All I can find is an overview under Network & Internet that shows how much data I have used in the last 30 days. My setup for this machine is ethernet to my wireless router that is connected to the Verizon 4G network. Any help on how to turn off auto updates is appreciated.

Also, once I get the updates for one machine how can I get them to my other 4 machines without taking a data hit for each one?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by turnsee
    the switch for selecting metered service is missing. My setup for this machine is ethernet to my wireless router.
    The metered service switch is only available for wireless connections, not wired.

Any help on how to turn off auto updates is appreciated.
    With Windows 10, Microsoft have changed the update model to mandatory and automated.

Also, once I get the updates for one machine how can I get them to my other 4 machines without taking a data hit for each one?
    Have a look at this How to Manage Windows Update in Windows 10 article for an explanation of Win 10's new update model, particularly the section about WUDO (Windows Update Delivery Optimization).

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-07-14 at 12:05. Reason: Corrected typo

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I get all my data thru a 4G wireless connection. I use ethernet to my router because there is no wifi adapter in my machine. Does this mean I must install a wifi adapter in order to control when I get updates?

Thanks
    I get all my data thru a 4G wireless connection. I use ethernet to my router because there is no wifi adapter in my machine. Does this mean I must install a wifi adapter in order to control when I get updates?
    Yes, it means you need a wifi adapter in your Windows 10 device in order to use the metered service switch. If you are using Windows 10 Pro then you can also defer updates. Again, the article I linked to will explain better than I can.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    This looks useful

How to set an Ethernet Connection as Metered to control Updates, Drivers, Store and others

I haven't tried this personally so try at your own risk!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

Rick Corbett (2016-07-14)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni
    This looks useful

How to set an Ethernet Connection as Metered to control Updates, Drivers, Store and others

I haven't tried this personally so try at your own risk!
    Many thanks for the link, Browni. It was a very interesting article.

Before and after:

metered-connections.png
    Click to enlarge

My observations are:

1. You don't need the SubInACL tool or CMD script. (You need to be in the registry anyway [using Run as Administrator] to change ownership of the DefaultMediaCost subkey otherwise the script fails with 'Access Denied'.)
    2. The instructions don't make it clear that RMB (as in RMB/Permissions/Advanced) means Right Mouse Button. This might fox some people for a while (like me! )
    3. After applying the change(s) and rebooting (so the registry is re-read), there isn't any magical Set as metered connection toggle switch or Advanced Settings added to the Ethernet UI in Settings > Network & Internet... so if you want to revert Ethernet to unmetered then it's back to the registry (although this can now be automated with a REG file, as below, now ownership has been changed).

Code:
      Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost]
      "Ethernet"=dword:00000001
    4. The only indication that something has changed is when you use Windows Update. All of a sudden there's now a Download button (if updates are available)

WU-with-metered-ethernet-connection.png
      Click to enlarge

As I watch it, the Windows Update dialog now occasionally flickers - as if trying to shake off this new restriction - and frequently changes to Downloading... (showing Windows MSRT - KB890830) before flickering back to the Updates are available dialog. (Nothing appears to be downloaded though.)

All-in-all, this isn't something I would advise for the faint-of-heart without clearer step-by-step instructions (which I can provide if there's any interest) and a backup of the registry before tinkering (which we all do anyway, don't we. )

However, it does look like it would solve turnsee's question about how to turn off automatic updates.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-07-14 at 11:14. Reason: Removed duplicate screenshot

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Browni (2016-07-14)

Thanks
    Nice followup Rick.

I have tried it myself but didn't see any changes in Windows settings either although I know I was definitely in metered mode as this appeared in Outlook 2016!

meteredoutlook.PNG

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I now have a new wifi adapter to connect to my router. All is well! I now have the option to select metered connection. This is the only change made (wifi to my router rather than a cat6 cable). My router connects to 4G thru a Verizon "cantenna." It seems that MS does not trust one to select metered without the associated wifi adapter.

Thanks for the assistance!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Turning off auto updates in Windows 10: leave the Windows Update service disabled, except when you want to use it. I run Windows Update on demand, via the following batch file:

::
    :: Start the Windows Update service.
    sc config wuauserv start= auto
    net start wuauserv
    :: Now run Windows Update and wait.
    "C:\Utilities\Windows Update 2.url"
    pause
    :: When finished, stop the service and disable it.
    net stop wuauserv
    sc config wuauserv start= disabled
    pause

The batch file waits indefinitely at the first pause, while the windows update process runs. When that is finished, hit a key to resume the batch file and disable the service. The second pause is not really necessary, but lets you see what happened.

Windows Update in Win 10 is invoked via URL. The .url file referred to invokes "ms-settings:windowsupdate" , which opens the Windows Update page.

I have this batch file set up as a shortcut, so I can run it easily on demand, e.g on or after patch Tuesday. At other times, the WU service is disabled. The batch file needs to be run as administrator.