Thanks

Vicious new ransomware takes your money and still deletes your files

Another very good example of why you need an external image/clone.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30946...tml#tk.rss_all

There’s a new form of ransomware—apparently built by amateurs—that takes your money but deletes your personal files anyway. Security research firm Talos recently published a blog post about a new form of malware dubbed Ranscam.

Thanks
    Best to disconnect the external media used for backups immediately upon conclusion of X backup routine. Constant vigilance is a must; one can backup ransomed data onto external media.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A acquaintance of mine recently got hit with ransomware. She took it to the shop and told me it would cost her $129 to get rid of the problem. Sad that folk create this mess in the first place. I virtualize so not too concerned with most threats but most people aren't OCD enough (or disciplined) to do so. Virtualization, pretty much, is really the only fool proof (well close to it) way to protect your system. My friend had TrendMicro (and she updated it in January). I told her that anti-virus programs just gives folk a false sense of security.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    A acquaintance of mine recently got hit with ransomware.
    Does your friend have any idea how/why she got hit?

Thanks
    Virtualization is not an easy process for many computer users to correctly, accurately, set up. I recommend remembering the end-user is the first and foremost responsible and accountable part of any well-planned, well-layered, well-maintained, defense strategy and tactics -- Quietman7 over in BleepingComputers.com has a couple of boilerplate posts that will help beginners and intermediates achieve and maintain what is bolded above.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    BleepingComputers.com
    That's a parked ad domain. The correct one is BleepingComputer.com [no "s"]
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robertpri View Post
    Does your friend have any idea how/why she got hit?
    She told me she got an Amazon email (she's a Prime member) and just clicked a link within the email message and shortly got the pop-up warning. Highly likely it was a rogue email. I already told her to be careful about clicking email links before but, as I told my clients when I was doing PC repair (haven't done so for 5 years now), people are creatures of habit and tend to do the same things that got them in trouble before. She's been hit several times now. I cannot make a person change nor should I. I helped her with network issues and printer issues, but I no longer am in the virus hunting business and told her so. Best to just re-install the OS but the question I have is, what happens when Win10 free upgrade period ends and you have to re-install the OS (helped her upgrade from Win7 to Win10 last year). I'm out of the loop now (no plans on returning even though I'm under-employed now. Just no money working for someone else, and way too much competition in this business where I live to bother with any longer) so have no idea about the re-install process for upgraded PCs. I would assume it would be like other OS upgrades and all you need is the key (with phone ready) but again, I'm way out of the loop now. lol