iNET Interactive
    Thanks

July's updating is looking relatively sunny

Patch Watch

July's updating is looking relatively sunny

By Susan Bradley

July's Windows and Office updates are, fortunately for those of us who would rather spend time in the sun, relatively mild.

In the past, the .NET Framework fixes were the bad boys of Windows updating. That's not the case any longer; it's Servicing Stack patching that are likely to be troublesome.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/julys-updating-is-looking-relatively-sunny/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The clock is counting down to the end of July Susan, and we are about to run out of time to update to Win10 without paying for the OS. Sometime ago in your column you said that you'd let us know when it was the right time to upgrade to Win10. I don't think I've missed any columns. Have you made this announcement?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellohello View Post
    The clock is counting down to the end of July Susan, and we are about to run out of time to update to Win10 without paying for the OS. Sometime ago in your column you said that you'd let us know when it was the right time to upgrade to Win10. I don't think I've missed any columns. Have you made this announcement?
    If you are going to upgrade I recommend you do it now and not wait until the last minute. If you do it now and have any problems you'll have time to work things out before the official end date.

Be sure to completely backup your system before you start to the process.
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have no idea what did it, but after Win10 updates, my computer started to crash after about 5 minutes of up time. Attempted to figure out what was going on, then ended up copying the minidump files to a thumb drive and looking at them on my tablet.

Turned out to be the driver for Intel's "Extreme Tuning" utility for overclocking. This is something I'd installed originally, then uninstalled. But it turns out the uninstall left the service installed and starting automatic. Something in the new updates didn't like it.

I ended up uninstalling a few other related motherboard utilities that I didn't use and where not designed for Win10.

Just mentioning this in case anyone has the issue - Intel is pretty common. :-)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan:
    In your last post, you suggested installing KB3161608. I did and then my Word 2003 would crash each time I tried to open a Word or a saved document on my desktop. Uninstalling this patch fixed the issue.
    Any reports from others on this? For now I'm not going to install this patch unless you know of a work around. Win7 Ultimate.
    Thanks for your help.