New Lounger
    Thanks

Help, after update win 10 cant use IE

Last night noticed my two different PC did an update. Both have win 10 and I have been using Internet Explorer since Edge seems to have a few bugs.
    Now I cant find IE on either one. Looked under apps and tried search box.
    One PC the IE icon shortcut was deleted. The other one its still in my taskbar.
    But if I click on it I just get a blank white box and it freezes the PC. Have to go to the task manager to end task.
    So I have switched to using chrome. But dont understand why Microsoft would do an update and not allow you to use IE anymore.

Is it a good idea to somehow turn off updates and can I do this in Win 10

Thanks for any suggestions

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    You can not turn off updates in Win10 unless your are using a wireless connection. Then you can set it as metered and disallow updates on a metered connection.

Go to control panel, type in Internet in the search box, open internet options, go to the advanced tab and reset IE.
    Joe

Thanks
    Try starting IE with no add ons

Open a command prompt windows, type the following and hit Enter, to open IE in No add-ons mode:

“%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe” -extoff

Jerry

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by RR78 View Post
    Now I cant find IE on either one. Looked under apps and tried search box.

IE is hidden inside Windows Accessories.

Start button > left side, All apps > scroll to alphabet W > open Windows Accessories > Internet Explorer is listed there.
    Right click at Internet Explorer > click More > click Pin to taskbar.

Set IE11 as your default.
    You can do that with the familiar Win 7 /Vista method.
    Control Panel > top right, click View by > select either "large" or "small" > Default Programs > Set your Default Programs > left side, scroll to Internet Explorer > click it > right side, click set this program as default.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the responses but nothing worked but a system restore from a couple of days ago.
    Do I have to worry about having to do a system restore every time win 10 updates?

First tried the IE reset which I was able to do, but still IE was not on my PC.
    Did not try to open with no add ons since it did not even seem like I had IE.
    Looking under apps and window assoc did not work. Or searching with the search box. Did not find IE like I had done in the past. After the restore I can now find it there.

I can't seem to find a way to set a restore point everyday. So I have a more recent restore point if this happens again.

Thanks

Thanks
    Did not try to open with no add ons since it did not even seem like I had IE.
    The command I gave to open with no add ons references the location of the IE executable so that would have shown whether you had IE or not.

Jerry

davidhk
    To : RR78

In the search box next to Start button, type programs and features> Enter.
    Left side, click Turn features On or Off > do you see Internet Explorer 11 listed ?
    If yes, is the box empty (unchecked) ?
    If yes again, check the box > click OK when done.

Now see if you can open IE11.

IE 11 ..... turn features on or off.jpg
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-07-14 at 21:15.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the help.

What I ended up with is IE would not show on a search. And this one PC would keep trying to do another update but could not install.

Called win10 free tech support. Found IE going to Program File(86). So got back IE shortcuts. IE still does not work as well as before the update, so switched to Chrome.

With the updates they had to bump that up to another level of tech support to fix.

Guy made some changes on my system by taking control of the PC. that up to another level of tech support to fix. I could not follow all he did. But he started here.

http://www.tweaking.com/files/setups..._aio_setup.exe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these commands to see if they improve IE -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

It can appear to hang at 20% but will complete, although the MS tech may have already run this cmd.

sfc /scannow (to see if it reports any corruption)

exit

Then reboot to see how IE performs.

You could also try Jerry's suggestion to run IE without add-ons if need be after running those commands.