Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Backup using SSD and HD

I have a Windows 10 system with 2 SSDs. I would like to reduce the time for a backup. I like to keep the two backups separate.
    I would like to back up disk 1 onto disk 2 then copy that backup to a spinning disk (and delete it) then
    backup disk 2 to disk 1, and copy that to spinning disk.

I use windows 10 backup in command line mode. What files must I copy?

Am I doing something 1) stupid 2) crazy 3) just wasting time

Eric

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EricAker1 View Post
    I have a Windows 10 system with 2 SSDs. I would like to reduce the time for a backup. I like to keep the two backups separate.
    I would like to back up disk 1 onto disk 2 then copy that backup to a spinning disk (and delete it) then
    backup disk 2 to disk 1, and copy that to spinning disk.

I use windows 10 backup in command line mode. What files must I copy?

Am I doing something 1) stupid 2) crazy 3) just wasting time

Eric
    Some folks would say the answer to the last question would be Yes, I'll only point out that the more one copies the same data to different disks the more likely there may be some data loss or corruption. Are you trying to back up the boot/system drive? I think most folks would agree that using a program such as Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect [spelling?] would be the better way to go.

Thanks
    1. Make disk images of your OS and Programs drive, via Berton's suggestions.
    2. Do a regular file copy or backup of your data drive--I haven't tried Win10's backup, I use COMODO Backup since it has a copy function which avoids the danger of a restore not working.

No need to involve the other SSD, do your stuff straight to the HD and/or external drive.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Thanks
    I recommend weekly or bi-monthly making a full image of your OS partition and your data partition onto two separate usb external HDs, or any two external medias of your choice, afterwards disconnecting the backup drives/devices and storing them in a small fire-repellent safe.
    Saving time does not necessarily equal quality backups, maybe it might, maybe it might not.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I backup my Windows disk to an internal disk using a 3rd party backup. Then I copy the backup to an external disk. This way I have 2 copies of my backup, just in case.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I backup my Windows disk to an internal disk using a 3rd party backup. Then I copy the backup to an external disk. This way I have 2 copies of my backup, just in case....
    Same here. Much easier, and more time-efficient, to restore the latest backup image if necessary (but that has only been necessary on one occasion since July 2015 after Win10 Insider Preview's "Fast Startup" feature messed up my other partitions).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Guys, Gals, here's a question for those who copy the just-made backup image to another external media: What are you going to do if the image, the just-made backup file, happens to be corrupt internally, either by a hiccup on the first backup location [media] or by a hiccup during the making of that first backup? IMO, making two "live" or external-boot full image backups, one onto ext HD A, then again onto ext HD B, while it takes more time to be sure!, also takes one more possible Murphy Law out of the equation [the Murphy Law that says: 1st backup file's internally corrupt, therefore the 2nd backup file, being a copy of said 1st backup file, is also corrupt.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-07-16 at 09:16.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    Anybody wanting a set of 2nd opinions and experiences of others, check out BleepingComputer.com's backup/disk mgt forum -- ask around.

Thanks
    Roland #7 is a valid point. However, Macrium Reflect has a verify option and that should indicate if the backup is good or not (I suspect other imaging programs do as well). The problem is, where do you draw the line? Every copying/moving of a file might introduce a corruption, but I suspect that this is far more rare than a failing disk taking all your files down.
    As I think you said in another thread, we are are all different and choose our own method of working. Some are more paranoid than others; me, I'm not. Now to investigate that funny rattle.....
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Roland #7 is a valid point. However, Macrium Reflect has a verify option and that should indicate if the backup is good or not (I suspect other imaging programs do as well).
    I use Acronis True Image, and assume that its "verify option" works properly. I've never had a problem trying to restore any of the images that I copied to my external drive.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I don't use the verify option and have never had an issue recovering data - Windows doesn't corrupt my data on disk so why should the backup? Besides, I have more than 1 backup.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I backup my Windows disk to an internal disk using a 3rd party backup. Then I copy the backup to an external disk.
    Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    What are you going to do if the image, the just-made backup file, happens to be corrupt internally, either by a hiccup on the first backup location [media] or by a hiccup during the making of that first backup?
    Two things:

1 [>99% probability] Never know about it because any need to restore didn't happen on the corrupt backup's watch;

2 [<1% chance] Restore the previous backup instead, if current one was corrupt when needed. Quite rare, and relatively minor inconvenience.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2016-07-17 at 04:33.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Thanks
    I always use the verify option. But the only way to truly verify a drive image is to restore it back to the drive. I do this from time to time (I have multiple backup images) just to confirm my trust in my imaging software. It hasn't let me down yet.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I use Acronis TI 2016 and had a big scare several months ago: "Verify" did not pick up any errors after a full system backup; but when I tried to perform a test recovery (to a spare HDD temporarily substituted for my usual OS drive), I got an error message that there were "disk errors" in the backup image and that it could not be recovered. I then ran CHKDSK /r on my main OS drive and errors were discovered and repaired. I then created a fresh backup image and was able to recover it to my test HDD. So, it seems "verify" merely checks that all files in the backup are correct, but cannot pick up disk errors on the source disk. I seem to recall this matter being discussed elsewhere in the Lounge and someone reporting that Macrium Reflect is able to make allowances for disk errors when backing up; and that Acronis TI (apparently) can not ...This seems to have been confirmed in my case.

Edit: By the way, I used an Acronis TI Recovery Disk (that had worked just fine in the past) for the recovery of both backups mentioned above.
    Last edited by petesmst; 2016-07-20 at 06:39. Reason: Added last paragraph
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    IIRC, EaseUs ToDo backup does a disk check BEFORE performing a backup.

Zig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast