Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts

A good upgrade experience

I had serious doubts about the Windows 10 upgrade. There are still features I would like to see changed (especially those related to controlling updates), but with the final date for the free upgrade approaching, I decided to take the plunge and upgrade my laptop (bout about 8 months ago).

Took all the necessary measures, including running SFC and then DISM to solve the issues that SFC couldn't solve. Imaged twice, to two different disks. Disabled Malwarebytes Pro and uninstalled Emsisoft AntiMalware, just to be sure they would not interfere with the upgrade process, and then let the Windows 10 upgrade finally proceed (call me lucky, I had never been harassed to upgrade before).

In a little over an hour I was up and running again. All but two programs (laptop manufacturer utilities) ran without issues. I had to go into device manager to manually start a graphics card driver update and I that made me have my external monitor up and running again. Everything else seems to run fine and I didn't even have to install drivers for the multi-purpose printer / scanner / copier (a nice Canon MG5259, built like a tank, that just works).

Overall, this was definitely the best upgrade experience I can remember, not only in the smoothness of the process, but also in the stability of my system, post upgrade. It seems I even gained about 10 GB of disk space, after having cleaned out the remnants of the upgrade process (including windows.old, but only after a double imaging again).

Early impressions are excellent, in terms of the behavior of the laptop and the UI. The new start screen is quite effective - I was already used to hitting the Start button and typing to find programs not pinned to my taskbar, but that works so much better now.

Now, will upgrade my much older desktop (although with a new SSD) and an older laptop (with a SSD, as well). Hopefully will be as troublefree as this one, although I fear some driver issues are to be expected, as the hardware is quite older than my new laptop...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I had serious doubts about the Windows 10 upgrade. There are still features I would like to see changed (especially those related to controlling updates), but with the final date for the free upgrade approaching, I decided to take the plunge and upgrade...
    Ditto.

I decided to take a double plunge and install Office 2016 at the same time--easy to roll back and upgrade separately if it didn't work. But it did work!

I haven't had much time to explore and play yet, but I'm very happy with the minimal downtime for two such big changes.

I'm disappointed that the multiple desktops are such a disappointment, but Fences 3 roll-up feature is helping until I get a chance to check out Dexpot and similar with W10.

Good job so far MS, don't break anything with a stupid update!
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    Ditto.

I decided to take a double plunge and install Office 2016 at the same time--easy to roll back and upgrade separately if it didn't work. But it did work!

I haven't had much time to explore and play yet, but I'm very happy with the minimal downtime for two such big changes.

I'm disappointed that the multiple desktops are such a disappointment, but Fences 3 roll-up feature is helping until I get a chance to check out Dexpot and similar with W10.

Good job so far MS, don't break anything with a stupid update!
    I was already running Office 2016, so that was one less update to do . It was pretty uneventful, as well, when I went from 2013 to 2016.

Like you, I am also quite happy that the whole process of taking 4 images (2 before, 2 after), upgrading and then solve any outstanding issues was amazingly speedy and trouble free. Thought it would cost me a day or so! I am glad I was wrong!
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I have two dual-boot systems, desktop and laptop, that are both running Windows 10 Pro as primary, 8.1 Pro on the other side. I'm preparing myself mentally to take on the task of cleanup/image/upgrade/image/restore X 2. Then again, I may just decide to dual boot Windows 10 on both sides and keep 8.1 Pro preserved in image.

There are utilitarian/maintenance advantages to dual boot that I've gotten used to over the years and don't want to give up. On the bright side, both systems are already running Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Pro) so I'm confident that there won't be any hardware/driver issues. And I finished up some project work last week, and have a few weeks off (until the next call) so I'm not pressed into doing it to hurriedly. Just need to bite the bullet ...
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I have two dual-boot systems, desktop and laptop, that are both running Windows 10 Pro as primary, 8.1 Pro on the other side. I'm preparing myself mentally to take on the task of cleanup/image/upgrade/image/restore X 2. Then again, I may just decide to dual boot Windows 10 on both sides and keep 8.1 Pro preserved in image.

There are utilitarian/maintenance advantages to dual boot that I've gotten used to over the years and don't want to give up. On the bright side, both systems are already running Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Windows 7 Pro) so I'm confident that there won't be any hardware/driver issues. And I finished up some project work last week, and have a few weeks off (until the next call) so I'm not pressed into doing it to hurriedly. Just need to bite the bullet ...
    Last December I bought a 500 GB SSD for my desktop. The idea was to image the HDD but somehow I didn't make it work and didn't have much time to check why, so I installed 8.1 on the SSD and left the HDD installed, running 7. So I have it dual booting and I surely understand how you feel that is an advantage, as I totally like the fact that I can even use the older software running on 7, that I don't want to add to 8.1.

Now I will probably try to upgrade 8.1 to 10 to see how it goes. Hopefully the experience will be as good as the recent one on the laptop.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

I've now done 2 desktops (one via TeamViewer!) and 3 Laptops (1 Dual Boot) w/out major issues! I did have to reset the Location for Documents, etc for the one done via TeamViewer but that was easy peazy.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hey Y'all,

I've now done 2 desktops (one via TeamViewer!) and 3 Laptops (1 Dual Boot) w/out major issues! I did have to reset the Location for Documents, etc for the one done via TeamViewer but that was easy peazy.
    Interesting that one with TeamViewer. How does it behave during the process? Do you keep connected throughout or just at the beginning, beginning and end?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Back before July last year I had upgraded two Windows 8 Pro computers to 8.1, but had a sense of dread about the arrival of Windows 10. When the free upgrade rolled out last year I decided to upgrade one of my Windows 7 computers to Windows 10 but was resolved to put off upgrading any of my other computers for months. However, by the first week of September I found that I liked Windows 10 (and Classic Shell) enough that I decided to upgrade them all.

Although I still have two Windows XP machines, I now have five desktops and two laptops running a mixture of Windows 10 Home and Pro (a few of them have Classic Shell installed).
    At the risk of being compared to Drew, I guess I have to admit to a fondness for Windows 10 in comparison to earlier versions of Windows. I can remember how relatively simple I thought upgrading was when I moved from Windows 95 to Windows 98/98SE but the upgrade to Windows 10 has been relatively effortless. I had one problem with updating printer drivers, and one computer had to have a new video card, but no major problems were encountered.

I've now upgraded over forty Windows 7/8/8.1 laptops/desktops for other people. (My only failure to date was when one Windows 8.0 computer could not even support Windows 8.1, so certainly not 10.)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That sounds interesting RG. I may try that next week (if I can find the time).

I'm also curious as to the answers to ruirib's questions.
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-07-15 at 14:41.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    At the risk of being compared to Drew, I guess I have to admit to a fondness for Windows 10 in comparison to earlier versions of Windows.
    It's ok to like Windows 10, that was never the issue. Now drinking Microsoft's (or anyone else's) Kool-Aid, that is what could get you in trouble .

I will confess to always be a bit hesitant on upgrading, but any new OS really gets to you rapidly and it's hard to go back. Old OSes then just look old and not as fun anymore .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Geez guys If it wasn't for new software what good would the Lounge be after all, not to mention us Lounge Lizards?

ROTFLOL.gif
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I did all the prep, downloaded the Media Creator and built a USB upgrade drive (the page wouldn't load in Windows 10, but no error message; booted into 8.1, launched IE and there it was!), and started the upgrade.

Media Center was uninstalled as expected, but that was it. Everything else seems AOK. Once the Big Circle screen loaded, I ordered some takeout and had supper with my wife. When we finished our meal, everything was done except the final user settings.

Quite painless. I'm on it now. I'll use it a couple of days, do my customizations, clean it all up and make a drive image. My ISP only provides 4Mbits at my location, and I chose "Check for Updates" so the downloading part took a while, but other than that it was a good experience overall. I'm going to use the Windows Start Menu (after unpinning all the tiles) instead of StartIsBack++ on this side of my dual boot so I can tell them apart easily.

Maybe I'll tackle the laptop tomorrow.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I finally got around to my laptop today, a Dell E5420 dual booting 8.1 Pro and 10 Pro. After updating and creating a drive image, the 8.1 Pro side upgraded without a hitch using the USB stick I created with the Media Creation Tool on my desktop.

Unleash Windows

Administrator
    Thanks
    I also upgraded two oldish computers, one laptop and one desktop, all went smooth, no problems at all. The desktop dual boots with 7 and it will keep on doing that.
    Really nice upgrade experiences .
    Rui
    -------
    R4