Thanks

Questions Regarding Downloading & Using Win10 ISO

1. My computer BSOD'ed during the download. When I restarted my computer and reopened the browser (Opera) I was using, the download offered to resume. Should I be concerned about the integrity of the ISO file or should I redo the download?
    2. Does anyone know where to find the checksum for the ISO file?
    3. (On this I need my memory refreshed.) Can I just use the ISO to create a USB that I can then use to install Win10 or should I use the media creation tool in conjunction with the ISO?
    4. If I can do either, which is the better or more recommended way?
    5. Is there an app that will check my systems for their compatibility with Win10? (I have a slightly older Toshiba laptop with Toshiba-provided video drivers, i.e., I cannot go to the graphics hardware maker, Intel, I think, to get updated drivers. I can only go to Toshiba if they choose to provide drivers that will assuredly be compatible with Win10.)

Thanks.

EDIT: The BSOD was likely due to everything I was doing on the computer during the download.
    Last edited by WildcatRay; 2016-07-15 at 07:25. Reason: Added comment on BSOD
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    1.) The download resume capability is pretty reliable these days. Unless you have a data cap if you are concerned just start the download again.
    2.) Doesn't the download site have the checksum?
    3.) You may use the ISO to create a USB
    4.) If you have a USB device and are going to start the download over just use the Media Creation Tool to start.
    5.) If you have run the Get Win10 app it does compatibility check.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    1.) The download resume capability is pretty reliable these days. Unless you have a data cap if you are concerned just start the download again.
    4.) If you have a USB device and are going to start the download over just use the Media Creation Tool to start.
    Thanks.

I could have sworn that I saw a post saying the Get Win10 app wasn't all that good at verifying the compatibility, but now I can't find it. Oh, well.
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatRay View Post
    Thanks.

I could have sworn that I saw a post saying the Get Win10 app wasn't all that good at verifying the compatibility, but now I can't find it. Oh, well.
    Its 's not perfect but it's a good start.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you have KB3035583 installed, that should give you the system tray icon which you can use to check compatibility, but when I tried the compatibility test recently, it said it wasn't available.

Not sure if this was a dastardly new ploy by MS, but rather than causing problems by upgrading, I suggest you contact Toshiba with your Model, Part and Serial numbers and they should be able to tell you if it is upgradeable.

You can create your bootable media through https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

EDIT - You can use Windows USB/DVD Burner Tool to create the bootable media of your choice after saving the ISO download.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...-download-tool
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-07-16 at 06:07.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I downloaded the media creation tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...cl=article_2_7

I downloaded the ISO from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...cl=article_2_8

There doesn't appear to be a checksum listed.
    Ray

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatRay
    I downloaded the media creation tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...cl=article_2_7

I downloaded the ISO from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...cl=article_2_8

There doesn't appear to be a checksum listed.
    You're right about the lack of any checksum. It would be impossible with the Media Creation Tool anyway as this tool is a combo downloader/assembler and/or installer. That is, it downloads the components of Windows 10 as part-files - checksumming internally as it goes, I assume - instead of as a single ISO file.

Next, depending on your initial choice of whether to just upgrade or create installation media, it either carries out the upgrade from these temporary files or assembles the parts into whatever installation media you choose (USB or DVD) at the end.

Even if you choose the Create ISO option, the ISO will have been created locally from the part-files, so Microsoft cannot provide a valid checksum.

Hope this helps...