3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Favourites or Favorites ?

Not an issue regarding US/UK spellings but in our Public Folders there is a folder called Favorites that no-one can add to or delete. there is also a folder called Internet Newsgroups in the All Public Fodlers folder that behaves the same. Please how can we
    1 use these folders[img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    or
    2 delete these folders ?[img]/w3timages/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Favourites or Favorites ?

favorites are just like IE's favorites - try dragging your favorite *public folders* to it. foroffline users, any folder in favs can be synced in the ost.

newsgroups holds newsgroups - if the admin has set up NNTP services and subscribed to any groups. It's a top level folder and if NNTP service is set up, you'd see more folders under it.

If you were given premission to read them, you'll see news posts there. The admin can also create newsgroups for inhouse - so the company can also have their own little usenet.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

PS - can't delete them but the admin can hide newsgroups. You'll want to keep favs now that you know what they are for. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Almost makes you want to read the manual doesnt it !!!!
    Excellant, Favourites is a personal folder in a public folder ? I think we will more than likely hide the newsgroups though.
    Thanks you very much

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

gosh, you mean you didn't get that big thick manual with your copy of outlook? [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

(where's my rolling on the floor smiley?)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MaryJ
    I'm hooked , favourites are smart. How do i set the homepage? If i can get something to load there when users stry into the folder i may be able to encourage the mto use it !!
    I have seen a different homepage for Outlook Today and this involved a registry edit?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

favs can't have folder home pages, i'll have to see if there a hack to allow it.

you'd need to do a reg hack on each user's machine or profile to load it any way, so why not create a folder and add it to everyone's favs and either use a folder homepage or post a message explaining how to use favs.

it sounds like the users are new to exchange, so maybe a folder called help and include other helpful hints and FAQ. restrict posting to specific people but give everyone read permissions or it will end up littered with messages. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

when you say "why not create a folder and add it to everyone's favs and either use a folder homepage or post a message explaining how to use favs." are you saying that you can force content onto a users favs folder? Our users have just come of a 5 year old UNIX mail system - I just trained them all so am aware of some usage of windows deficiencies !! Anything to promote Outlook and using PC rather than pen/paper/printer/fax/photocopier etc
    caught someone photocopying an email recently [img]/w3timages/icons/doh.gif[/img]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

you can, using scripts. the ease of it depends on your setup, remote logon or local. (central profiles or only on the users machine)

export a reg key for mesaging subsystem for a profile without anything in favs. add a folder and export again. seewhich key is new.

I'm 99.9% sure that is stored in the registry. But outlook does save some stuff as hidden messages in the mailbox, i hope it's not favs. [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]

(and i thought printing email was bad [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img])