New Lounger
    Thanks

Need some help with M$ updates (NOT windows updates)

As of right now I have Windows Updates on both computers (win. 7 home prem., sp1 x 64), working fine, both are desk tops that I have built, mine and my wife's.

For what ever reason I can not get M$ Updates to work on my wife's computer ( needed for Office updates), it was working until a couple of months ago, I turned it off (it kept bugging me to install updates that I did not need) and when I tried to reinstall it, I could not. It is working fine on my computer.

I have searched the web and tried a couple of things but nothing has worked yet.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Shortly after a factory reset on a machine that was pre-SP1, I had to update Silverlight before I could access the MS site to download SP1.

Do you have Silverlight installed ?

https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverl...l/Default.aspx

If you already have it, try an uninstall/reinstall.

Thanks
    Joe, if you check Windows Update on your wife's PC it sounds like it looks like this:

WU- WindowsOnly.png
    Click to enlarge

After looking at this article - Enabling and Disabling Microsoft Update in Windows 7 via Script - it seemed easy to change from Windows only. I've tested the following in a new Windows 7 VM and can confirm that it worked (for me ).

Copy/paste/save the following into a new Notepad file then rename the file from .TXT to .VBS.

Code:
    Set ServiceManager = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.ServiceManager")
    ServiceManager.ClientApplicationID = "My App"
    'add the Microsoft Update Service by GUID
    Set NewUpdateService = ServiceManager.AddService2("7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d",7,"")
    MsgBox "Done!"
    As an alternative, I've also attached a TXT file. Download it and rename it from ImplementMicrosoftUpdate.txt to ImplementMicrosoftUpdate.vbs. (This is because - for security - the forum does not allow the attachment of scripts.)

Now, here's the thing... you cannot run the file successfully unless you're THE Administrator (as opposed to an account in the Administrators group). However, this is very easy to do:

1. Click on Start.
    2. In the Search programs and files text box, type cmd. Do not press Enter.
    3. When cmd.exe appears in the results list, right-click on cmd.exe and choose Run as administrator.
    4. When the command dialog opens, use cd (Change Directory) to navigate to the location of the .VBS file. (See Command Prompt - How to use the simple, basic commands for more info about navigating.)
    5. Type the name of the VBS file and press Enter. (Actually, all you need to do is type imp then the TAB key for the remainder of the filename to be completed.) This will run the script and present you with a Done! message to show the script has completed. Just click on the OK button to dismiss the message dialog.

When you check Windows Update again it should have changed to this:

WU-MicrosoftUpdate.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-07-17 at 08:28. Reason: Added link about navigating

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, I have seen both of these fixes in my searches but have tried neither one, I don' think I want to install Silverlight, I already have Adobe Flash for videos in Firefox and I.E., and I am not sure if I did install Silverlight just to enable M$ updates and then uninstall it, would M$ updates remain installed ? I do not know. So the idea of using the VBS file seems like the way to go, I will give it a try and let you know it works for me.

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies !

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I didn't mean for you to install Silverlight and then uninstall it - only to uninstall/reinstall if you already had it.

You do need Silverlight to access some MS websites.

I think my online banking uses it as whenever I've been there and run CCleaner at the end of the session, I see 1KB of it to remove.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just a thing about installing Silverlight, just reinstalled it after a factory reset and it has a box pre-checked to enable Microsoft Updates, so that may be an easier option.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @ Rick Corbett -

Thank you, your solution worked, I can't lie, it took me a few tries to get the cmd prompt correct but I finally did, I enjoyed the challenge - windows and m$ updates are now working as they should -

Thanks again

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Installing Silverlight worked for me but it didn't appear immediately that I'd opted for MS updates as well - I was in and out of Windows Update like a yoyo trying to get them to work when I noticed it.