Thanks

Laptop won't charge unless turned off or in sleep mode.

I have a friends HP 14 Notebook laptop running WIN 10 and the problem is it wont charge the battery unless it is in sleep mode or turned off. When I plug it in to AC the light on the side goes orange and the battery icon shows the battery is charging but only for a few moments. When I restored a backup up I had made a few months back it went back to charging while on for about 4 or 5 hours before cutting out again. When it is in sleep mode with the AC charger connected the light turns orange and it is charging again. Scannow command says nothing is wrong. I followed these instructions from here Fix: "Battery Plugged in Not Charging" in Windows 10 - Two Methods - YouTube but no luck there. This is looking like a hardware problem but the warranty is out by a month as it was bought 13 months ago. If I pull out the battery and plug it in it wont go. Is it possible this is software related and can be fixed.
    Thanks Pete.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How hot is the power brick getting ?

It may have a thermal cut out.

While it isn't advisable to use a power brick from another laptop, if the power settings on it are similar, then you could try one to see if it maintains the charging.

It sounds to me like the brick may not be able to sustain running both the laptop and charge at the same time which may be why it will only charge when the laptop is not in use.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-07-16)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    How hot is the power brick getting ?

It may have a thermal cut out.

While it isn't advisable to use a power brick from another laptop, if the power settings on it are similar, then you could try one to see if it maintains the charging.

It sounds to me like the brick may not be able to sustain running both the laptop and charge at the same time which may be why it will only charge when the laptop is not in use.
    The power brick dos'nt seem over hot but will double check that in the morning. The other two power bricks in the house wont fit but will ask the guy next door for a look at his brick in the morning.
    Cheers Pete.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't know how much new AC adapters cost, but you could check with this New Zealand outfit -

http://store.emprgroup.co.nz/

It isn't something I'd want to trust to ebay.

It's Sod's Law that something goes wrong just outside of warranty - this was why I took out 5 year extended warranties on my Toshiba laptops.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-07-16 at 07:25.

Thanks
    I don't know how much new AC adapters cost, but you could check with this New Zealand outfit -

http://store.emprgroup.co.nz/

It isn't something I'd want to trust to ebay.

It's Sod's Law that something goes wrong just outside of warranty - this was why I took out 5 year extended warranties on my Toshiba laptops.
    Thanks for that, I have sent them a email requesting a price as I was unable to find it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What was the brick like this morning and have you asked the guy next door yet to see if you can borrow his ?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I've had the same issue with an Acer laptop before but the tech said it had something to do with the system AND the battery. I dropped it and it fell hard on the floor after that, it started acting out funny with the battery not charging when it's powered on. Eventually it progressed to the battery not being detected and the keys being stuck not being to type anything anymore.

Hope you get yours resolved, though. Best of luck!

Thanks
    What was the brick like this morning and have you asked the guy next door yet to see if you can borrow his ?
    The brick is only warm this morning but I will let the machine run low today and see how hot it gets, and no I'm waiting to see my tenant.(I made half of my house into a flat) He's doing some kind of weekend work. I will try someone else tomorrow also.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomechum View Post
    I've had the same issue with an Acer laptop before but the tech said it had something to do with the system AND the battery. I dropped it and it fell hard on the floor after that, it started acting out funny with the battery not charging when it's powered on. Eventually it progressed to the battery not being detected and the keys being stuck not being to type anything anymore.

Hope you get yours resolved, though. Best of luck!
    Thanks, at least the laptop is use able. Shame your Acer died on you, and hey welcome to the lounge good to have you aboard.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWIpeteW View Post
    The brick is only warm this morning but I will let the machine run low today and see how hot it gets, and no I'm waiting to see my tenant.(I made half of my house into a flat) He's doing some kind of weekend work. I will try someone else tomorrow also.
    A property magnate eh ?

Was it showing as charging when you checked it ?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-07-17)

Thanks
    A property magnate eh ?

Was it showing as charging when you checked it ?
    It shows as charging for a few seconds only. No luck finding a charger that fits.