New Lounger
    Thanks

Restricted access to Threads or Tags

Just joined today, excuse me for posting this suggestion -

I feel subscribers should not be allowed to open new threads , but made to made to post into existing threads, request must be made to moderators if new thread is required.

for example in word processing you can have broad threads as per the program ribbons ( like tracking, macro, edit, alignment etc) and members need to post within that group. or they must be forced to taged their thread into existing tags.

If both Tags and threads are left open for members to create while posting it will create unnecessary duplication due to spelling difference/error, etc resulting in lack of cohesion and duplication

I am not a programmer so not sure whether this sounds silly?

Thank You
    Springler

Thanks
    Welcome as a new subscriber. The problem with your suggestion as I see it, is that thread drift and thread hijack can make the situation worse. The mods (and others) do suggest that a new thread is started when a new post isn't on subject. They also point out when the new thread is a duplication or near dup as well. So personally, I think the status quo works. Others may have different ideas.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That would scupper this new post you made.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    True , but as a newbie i had no choice to search for relevant tags / group etc before posting, also I am certain many will just post as its most convenient than search for relevant groups and tags , resulting in superfluous groups and tags which in the long run will be counter to every members interest. Thanks !! You are the best judge !!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The forum is here to help people and we'd rather have more threads than keep answering requests for authorization to post threads. We get tens of new threads every single day. The moderation effort would be huge and for what?

Plus, it's awful to have different subjects added to existing threads, with a totally new problem. We want people to post new threads when they have a new problem. Makes the whole new context clear. We also encourage people to close threads as solved, when their problem is solved, so that discussion of that specific matter ends there and the topic is clearly marked as having been solved.

In what concerns us, the Lounge works fine as it is, because its main purpose is to provide help to its members and it seems to do reasonably well on that area.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2016-07-18),lumpy95 (2016-07-18),springler (2016-07-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Point Well Taken!! Subject matter closed , Majority takes the cake!! You are right it could result in administrative bottleneck, and restricts members freedom to post!!
    Thank You!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by springler View Post
    Point Well Taken!! Subject matter closed , Majority takes the cake!! You are right it could result in administrative bottleneck, and restricts members freedom to post!!
    Thank You!!
    You're welcome. Hope you enjoy the Lounge and, even if I disagreed with this suggestion, we definitely welcome feedback, so please let us know of any improvements you think my be of help to all our members.

Thank you!
    Rui
    -------
    R4