Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PIN v. Password

Thanks

PIN v. Password

In reading about the pros of switching to PINs, a question ran through my head:

Can I set a PIN that is the same as my (current) password, thereby not having to re-learn anything but adding the security of only being able to log on from the specific hardware/machine on which the PIN was set up?

Is there a way to remotely log into a machine that has a PIN via a password -- sort of like what do I do if I forget my PIN on the machine itself? Can it be reset remotely?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    In reading about the pros of switching to PINs, a question ran through my head:

Can I set a PIN that is the same as my (current) password, thereby not having to re-learn anything but adding the security of only being able to log on from the specific hardware/machine on which the PIN was set up?

Is there a way to remotely log into a machine that has a PIN via a password -- sort of like what do I do if I forget my PIN on the machine itself? Can it be reset remotely?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    My PIN number is the same format as for Debit cards, 4 numerical digits. I had to log on with my Microsoft Account to be able to do it. The PIN is connected with the password for the Microsoft Account. I can use the same PIN on any computer I've set up with my Microsoft Account. Can't say how a remote access would work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    My PIN number is the same format as for Debit cards, 4 numerical digits. I had to log on with my Microsoft Account to be able to do it. The PIN is connected with the password for the Microsoft Account. I can use the same PIN on any computer I've set up with my Microsoft Account. Can't say how a remote access would work.
    Berton,

In Win 10 the pin can be longer than 4 digits. I have mine set to 8 digits.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Berton,

In Win 10 the pin can be longer than 4 digits. I have mine set to 8 digits.

HTH
    Could be, don't think I said anything about the length of a longer PIN. Obviously that information should be available when setting up the PIN.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    If you forgot your PIN, win 10 would require you to log in to your MS account online and reset the pin but that's the only remote access I know about...

Thanks
    So I could then use the same series of numbers or letters that I used for my password and it would then "just" become my PIN, attached to the machine on which it was/ is set up?

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    Chuck,

I think it's NUMBERS ONLY!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RG, if it's numbers only that would seem less secure, not more so -- unless the security is centered instead around the fact that I could only use that password on the one machine -- that IS what I am getting as the case, yes? Interesting, because Microsoft could have locked it to one machine using the same method they now employ for Windows 10 Product ID numbers, couldn't they? Then one would need no password basically, assuming they are they only one using the particular machine that is tied via hardware association, right?

Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The N in PIN stands for Number. And you can't have one in Windows without a password.

Windows 10 says a PIN is more secure than a password. How?

Thanks
    So then Bruce

"However, itís important to note that Windows 10ís use of a PIN is not a replacement for a password. You establish your PIN after signing in to your Microsoft account with your user name and password. You then create your PIN as a secondary authentication to your Microsoft account but, the trick is that it only works from your device."

Will I then need to enter both the PIN and password? Also, if I am logging into a non-Microsoft account (I have three logins on my machine) would the PIN then not be used or available, and only so for the MS account?

Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Will I then need to enter both the PIN and password? Also, if I am logging into a non-Microsoft account (I have three logins on my machine) would the PIN then not be used or available, and only so for the MS account?
    Chuck
    Chuck,

No you will ONLY need to enter your PIN. You can, should you forget your pin, switch on the logon screen to your Password via the link "Sign-in Options" below the input box. The use of a PIN allows you to set a very complex MS Account Password w/o having to enter it every time.

For local accounts PINs are not available, to the best of my knowledge. It will prompt you for your PW when you select a local account.

I'm still recreating my Insider setup after a CLEAN install and I haven't setup a Local Account yet to test this. If I should be incorrect I'm sure someone will correct me it they get to it before I get the Local Account Established.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RG, I apologize for being slow here... Are you sating that the PIN would only apply to my MS account and NOT to my local accounts like my Administrator or my Visitor/Guest accounts? But then why would it prompt me for a my PIN when I select a local account? The local accounts couldn't set the PIN, but would need to know it?

I'm confused...

Chuck

Thanks
    Chuck,

Ok, I got a Local Account setup and could not find anywhere to create a PIN for it. The only option is a password.

If you are getting prompted for PINS then you are using Microsoft Accounts. You can have more than one MSA on the same machine and you could set all the PINS the same.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    It does, RG, thanks. It seems, IMHO, just a tiny bit self-defeating to only have that option for MS accounts, if for no other reason than it precludes using the option for the Admin.

Chuck

Thanks
    Is it not the case that if you have a local account you can have a simple password, but if you use a MS account, simple passwords aren't good - you need a strong password? The PIN therefore is useful to be able to login without having to remember the strong password for the MS account. Because of this, Pins, presumably, are not relevant to local accounts.

I now use autologin, but one problem with this and using a pin is that it's easy to forget the strong password of the MS account!
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast