Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Password Change Requirement

I have been locked out of Windows Secrets Lounge.

I got the message to change my password, the message asked for an email address (which I gave) but I never got a response.
    I did it again and no response.
    I tried another email address and was told that they did not recognize that email (so the original one was correct).
    I tried it again with the correct email address NO RESPONSE. WTF is going on???

This is the same email address that I use to receive the Newsletters, so there is no blockage by spam filters or ISP filters.

I had to create this dummy registration just to be able to post my complaint. That email came through just fine.

How do I change the Password of my original WS account??

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you PM me your original username or email address I will set a password for you, email it and then you can set a stronger password.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You need to find the original email you registered with, not necessarily the one you use for the newsletters.
    I tried 4 email addresses before I got the correct one for the password reset.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I also had problems with the password change. I received the emails and was able to use the "temporary" password.

However, I was unable to change the temporary password. When I created my new password in Keepass, I copied it to the clipboard and purposely pasted it into both fields (new password and confirm new password) so that they were absolutely the same.

But I kept getting a failure saying the passwords did not match!

Tried this multiple times with the same failure.

Thanks
    I had a problem and luckily found a solution here:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...t-in-Safe-Mode

But when I went to add my experience to the thread for others to hopefully profit from, I was presented with the following error:

============
    The following errors occurred with your submission

This Thread is more than 834 days old, you can't reply to it.
    =============

Huh? WHY in the world would you disable additional comments just because a thread is x days old? What is the logic behind this [bad] policy?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ibe98765 View Post

But when I went to add my experience to the thread for others to hopefully profit from, I was presented with the following error:

============

=============

Huh? WHY in the world would you disable additional comments just because a thread is x days old? What is the logic behind this [bad] policy?
    Posts are disabled because that is a favorite way of spammers to get attention.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Posts are disabled because that is a favorite way of spammers to get attention.
    How does that work to stop spammers? Why wouldn't spammers choose to spam recent threads where people are actually looking?

Perhaps there could be some override to allow posts to old threads through a verification system?

Administrator
    Thanks
    How does that work to stop spammers? Why wouldn't spammers choose to spam recent threads where people are actually looking?

Perhaps there could be some override to allow posts to old threads through a verification system?
    Often spammers are trying to get users to buy some dubious software or service. They will pick a thread on something such as data recovery or lost product key.

We have very little control over the site and policies. That is up to Penton. They are not very responsive.
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

============

=============

The logic is simple: threads are meant to help users solve their problems. Once the problem is solved, we even encourage users to close the thread, marking it as solved.
    There is absolutely no advantage in adding to an old thread, since the original purpose has long been satisfied or, if it has not been, the original poster is no longer waiting for an answer. If a thread is particularly useful, we will make it a sticky and keep it easily reachable.

If you have a new problem, you should post a new thread. That will draw more attention than reviving an old thread. That's how we prefer it and, if you don't mind, we are the ones who run the forum and are here day in day out, helping people with their problems. Your opinion, as respectable as it is, doesn't reflect the experience of having to run a forum such as this one, with the members we have, the number of posts we have to deal with and the spam we have to contain.

Keeping old threads open leads not only to spam, but also to users often posting about unrelated or marginally related subjects. We end up inviting users to start new threads, just to keep things clear. There is no point in forcing anyone to read an old thread trying to find out if the new post is related, in any way, with what was said before. I would think this doesn't bother you, but this requires additional effort from those who are here to help others and thus read many of the posts made.

So, you may think this is a bad decision and that is your right. We, on the other hand, think it's a good one and, if anything, the forum software does not enforce the time policy with as much trustworthiness as we would like. Many technical forums implement similar policies and actually are more strict than we are regarding time limits.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So where do you go to change your password after receiving the temporary one?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiRed View Post
    So where do you go to change your password after receiving the temporary one?
    Click the link in the email.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did.
    But as I am using a Android tablet this fails.
    I presume there4 must be anotherway.
    Cheers

Administrator
    Thanks
    I did.
    But as I am using a Android tablet this fails.
    I presume there4 must be anotherway.
    Cheers
    You can change the password from your settings panel: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/usercp.php
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This, too, says it is not supported

Administrator
    Thanks
    This, too, says it is not supported
    Says it's not supported? How is that possible? That is a link, leads you to a page. Can you get to the page? Can you describe the steps you take and how the site behaves?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast