5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sit by PC During Upgrade to Win10?

I am ready to upgrade to Win10 and I'm wondering if I can start the download and go away for a few hours or do I have to stay close by to monitor the download progress?

Thanks,
    Bill

davidhk
    If you have small children at home, You definitely would want to sit by the computer to prevent the children from playing with the keyboard and mess up the download.

Same applies if you have cats or dogs at home.

At certain stages, your inputs will be required without which the process will not continue.
    If you go away, the computer will stop and wait for you to come back to enter the required input.

So, you decide which way to go.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-07-17 at 08:10.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    William, good Sunday morn to you.
    FYI, I do all my installs of W-10 away from the machine, I just let it work at its own pace. After a 45 minute D/L, it will ask for a Restart but if you have set up your "busy hours", it will restart on its own. EG: I got 14390 going last evening at 21:00 and this morning, after 06:30, it completed the process and I am now on it, typing at you.
    Busy hours is found in Notifications, last icon on the right on the task bar. Then All Settings, then Update, then Restart Options. Try it, you can not go wrong.

Have a nice weekend. Jean.

Thanks
    At certain stages, your inputs will be required without which the process will not continue.
    The only user interaction required is to initiate the first reboot after the update download and start the update. The process is automatic from that point on. Be patient. The update can look like its hung at a couple of points and will involve a couple of reboots.

Jerry

davidhk
    To : BillWilson

Here is an article/tutorial on what is involved when upgrading from Win7, or Win8/8.1 to Windows 10.

http://www.howtogeek.com/225048/how-...-10-right-now/