Thanks

Strange Behavior of Uploaded PDF made from Word

My web site contains a PDF file that I got from one of our suppliers. I'm pretty sure he created the PDF from a Word document, but I don't know what he used to create it.

When I open the PDF file in Chrome, the page title as it appears on the browser tab is something very different than anything else about the document. You can see this at

http://www.ussrankin.org/HTMLobj-5552/jaxres.pdf

The strange title is USS HENLEY 2013 REUNION. Our supplier is a planner of reunions, so no doubt he did the Henley one. But I have no idea why the title appears on my web page. Neither does the supplier, who is not sophisticated about these matters.

The problem still exists when I used Word to make a PDF from the same source document that the supplier used. I can't find any HENLEY stuff in that document. I use Word 10; I don't know what version the supplier uses.

Who can solve this mystery?
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2016-07-17 at 11:54. Reason: Updated info
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Lou,

I looked at the HTML and there is nothing there that would cause this. When I open it in Edge it shows jaxres.pdf in the tab.

Unfortunately, I have Chrome & Pale Moon set using Foxit Reader to open the files directly in that program and not inside the browser (personal preference) but Foxit shows the same jaxres.pdf in it's tab. However, FireFox shows USS HENLEY in the tab as you state...

This looks like one for the Twilight Zone!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I opened that linked .pdf file and also find nothing in it about Henley. A curiosity took me here as I was stationed at NAS Jacksonville Training Center and Mayport NS aboard the USS Franklin D. Roosevelt in late-59 to mid-'60. Snowed that winter, first time in 20 years and locals thought 2" was terrible. But the name Henley brought to mind the CSS H.L. Hunley submarine.

Thanks
    I figured it out!

The USS Henley stuff came from the "Title" of the original Word document. In Word 10, you can see the "Title" by clicking the File tab and looking at the stuff on the right side of your screen. You can change the "Title" just by clicking on it and typing in a new one. (I did that, then made and uploaded a PDF. The new "Title" appeared as the page name in Chrome.) Other versions of Word show the "Title" in different places.

Apparently when you make a PDF by Saving a document from Word as PDF, the title comes through and appears as the page name in Chrome. You can also make a PDF by Printing a document from Word as a PDF. When you make the PDF that way and upload it, the title does NOT appear in the tab as the page name. You get the name of the PDF file instead.

NB: I am uploading all these PDFs via CuteSiteBuilder, a very old web authoring program. I don't know if that has any effect on all of this.
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2016-07-17 at 13:32. Reason: Uodate the test
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you using Word 10 on Windows 10? I have Word 9 [part of Office 2000] on the Insider Preview of Win10 and does most of the basics just fine. The Office Compatibility Pack works on versions from 2003 back to 2000, makes working with the newer versions of files easier.

Thanks
    Here's a way to test my theory and to shed some light on the situation.

Go to the newly-updated http://www.ussrankin.org/lottery/files.htm, where you can look at the original Word document and two PDFs made from it: one made by Save As, the other made by Print.

The instructions on that page tell what happens with Chrome, which is if a PDF is made by Save As, the Word document's title somehow gets into the PDF. If the PDF is made by Print, that doesn't happen.

It would be useful to know what happens with other browsers.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    The reference to 2013 is written in the file's properties. You can view it by opening in Adobe Reader, File > Properties, but you will need a PDF editor to change it. It is changed in the attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    http://www.gmayor.com

Thanks
    Got it! I don't know why, but I didn't realize that I could look at the properties of the PDF.

I'm still pretty convinced that that property does NOT come through if you Print the Word file to PDF, rather than Saving it as a PDF.

I wonder what other differences there are between the two ways of making a PDF from Word.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    The original document properties are preserved if you save as PDF from Word, but they are not if you print to PDF. They are however preserved if you use the Acrobat add-in to create the PDF, and may be preserved with other PDF tools.
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    http://www.gmayor.com

Thanks
    Interesting.

Even more interesting: when the original properties are preserved, including the title, the title shows up in Chrome as discussed above. But when they are not, a new title is created, in this case it is "Microsoft Word - jax.docx"

In the former case, the title is displayed in Chrome. In the latter, instead of displaying the new title, Chrome displays the filename of the PDF.

This is further demonstrated in the files available at the newly-updated http://www.ussrankin.org/lottery/files.htm

If Loungers have different browsers, it would be interesting to know how they behave with this. Download the files and let us know!
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2016-07-18 at 09:32.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Sander View Post
    If Loungers have different browsers, it would be interesting to know how they behave with this. Download the files and let us know!
    I'm on my MacBook Pro Notebook and I just opened all 3 links using Firefox 47 on Mac OS X El Capitan, seem to be fine. I opened the .docx in Word for Mac 2011 and the .pdf files both in the Firefox plug-in and in Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 [not Reader] on the Mac. I also opened the files in SeaMonkey and Safari browsers on my Mac and all appeared normal.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2016-07-19)

Thanks
    I may have the complete solution now:

1. One property of a PDF file is its Title. You can see it in File > Properties, but you can't necessarily change it there.
    2. When a PDF is uploaded to the web, its Title can show up in unexpected places, particularly in Chrome, but possibly in other browsers as well.
    3. If a PDF is created from a Word document by Save As PDF, the Word document's title becomes the PDF's Title. Hyperlinks in the Word document are preserved and active in the PDF.
    4. If the PDF is created by Print to Adobe PDF, the PDF gets a somewhat arbitrary new Title. Hyperlinks in the Word document are NOT active in the PDF, but they DO retain their formatting (underline, color, etc.), which can make people think they are active.

All this came about because someone made a new Word file by modifying an old one, without changing the Word document's Title. (You can see a Word file's Title, and change it, in Word 10 by File > Info and looking at the panel on the right of the screen. Other versions of Word have different ways of viewing and changing properties.) They converted the Word document to PDF by using Save As, so the new PDF had the unsuitable/unexpected Title of the original unmodified document. In Chrome, it showed up on the browser tab of the uploaded page.
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2016-07-19 at 17:10. Reason: clarify
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou Sander For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2016-07-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Lou,

Thanks for the explanation it's very helpful.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs