5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OneDrive Sync Frequency

I was rather under the impression that OneDrive was supposed to detect additions or changes to files in the directories it monitors and upload those files on a "regular" basis. I'm finding that it does that sometimes, but not others.

About 45 min ago, I copied two files from my NAS to my OneDrive folder (Win10). As of now, OneDrive has not synced them. This really ticks me off. It might not be that bad if there was a "Sync Now" option, but there isn't.

Short of shutting it down and restarting it (which seems to be Microsoft's answer), I can't find any simple solution to this problem. And in searching on the net, I see I'm not alone in this.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    I have not experienced this. Pasting files in to my OneDrive folder almost always results in OneDrive starting to sync virtually immediately; but certainly within a few seconds; even when working with OneNote (a file size of nearly 2Gigs in my case).

I notice comments here seem to confirm the "immediate sync" of OneDrive:

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forum...signated-files

See also here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...c-c8b8755712db

So perhaps your delay was caused by "unprecedented" busy MS servers!! It will be interesting to hear if you continue to experience your issue.
    Last edited by petesmst; 2016-07-20 at 06:58. Reason: Added links
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've actually experienced both problems (too frequent and not at all) and they seem to be somewhat periodic. Why in all the gods names they have failed to include a SyncNow function I have no idea (as a right click on the status icon would be nice).

I'm going to have another go at a batch file that will delete a file and copy a replacement back in to see if that will trigger a sync. I tried something like this a while back and it didn't work. I'm really wondering if this has something to do with Windows caching writes such that OneDrive is unaware that anything has taken place.

I'm also concerned that this is somehow related to my having OneDrive on an SD card (Surface Pro 3). I do have another computer for testing but it's Win7 and the last thing I need is another variable in the test mix. Never-the-less, I might as well try duplicating the test on a different computer.

At one point I tried putting my Thunderbird files on OneDrive so I could access the mail program from my main computer or my notebook. Unfortunately, I found that OneDrive seemed to be constantly syncing since Thunderbird was updating a variety of files as I worked. But, strangely, some large files seemed to fail to update even after 30min. This eventually resulted in duplicate copies of a few files - which made a real mess of things.

As an aide: to some degree, I've now learned what I can and cannot do with OneDrive. I've also found that MS is determined that you WILL have a Documents directory in your OneDrive folder and it WILL put some things there whether you want them there or not - and attempting to put them somewhere else will cause you no end of grief.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Hi Graham,
    have you right clicked the OneDrive icon on the Taskbar & selected 'Settings'

RR.png
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    have you right clicked the OneDrive icon on the Taskbar & selected 'Settings'
    Sorry, you lost me. What are you referring to? There is no setting for Sync Frequency or a button for Sync Now.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Sorry, you lost me. What are you referring to? There is no setting for Sync Frequency or a button for Sync Now.
    it was to show you how to access and check your settings.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    it was to show you how to access and check your settings.
    Yes, but since there's nothing there having to do with sync frequency or sync now, I'm not sure what you were pointing me to.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    @gsmith-plm: For what it's worth, Microsoft's new Service Agreement contains the following under the Heading "One Drive":

ii. Service Performance. Depending on factors such as your equipment, internet connection and Microsoft’s efforts to maintain the performance and integrity of its service, you may occasionally experience delays in uploading or syncing content on OneDrive.

Here is the link to the full Agreement:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/serv.../upcoming.aspx
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.